Why are soap fans so averse to online streaming?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

At this point, I almost exclusively watch everything on streaming, including the soaps. TV as a whole is moving quickly in that direction. I've said before if the AMC and OLTL versions were launched now the results could be very different.

• Members

Netflix got loads of criticism when they reduced their catalog of classic films. 

I think it's probably easier to direct people to other streaming platforms rather than to argue or defend their programming choices.

Netflix won't be competing with Criterion in any way since they stripped their catalog of classic films.

Killing Eve is a really good show though.

• Members

It’s very different from companies I’ve worked for who were *very* hesitant to acknowledge other networks or platforms unless they were sister networks or we had a partnership or our talent was appearing in their programs. Netflix has a very unique voice on social (almost always in first-person singular oddly), and they may also see fellow streamers as comrades. They are also so big that they can be a bit generous.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I have two more problems with current ad-based streaming services:

(1) The idea of on-demand is nice in theory but, sometimes faced with the multiple choices on HBO-GO/Netflix/Hulu/Showtime it feels like a chore to pick something.  However, if someone sent me classic soap clips passively every day then I would watch them.

(2) The ads repeat themselves.  I was watching SNL on the network site and one ad played at every break, in fact, one break it repeated three times.  It was like torture to have to listen to the same song over and over without being able to fast forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All I knew about it going in was Natasha Lyonne (whose talent I've liked since Slums of Beverly Hills) created it and that she and Amy Poehler are the producers.  I deliberately avoided any articles or posts, by blog or social media, that discussed the series because I didn't want to risk spoilers, so I pretty much missed all the hype.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Did y'all know that someone is livestreaming Y&R episodes on YT?

Please register in order to view this content

I just happened to be viewing a classic episode of GL when I saw it on the sidepanel.  There's an open chat and everything!

Actually, I think it would be fun if even some of the cancelled soaps would do a livestream where people could chat while watching episodes together, maybe sometime on the weekends.  I'd love it if one of the YT channels that has ATWT episodes would do a livestream of some of their episodes!