Why are soap fans so averse to online streaming?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Interesting that though this article posits that there is room for both Netflix and Hulu and Netflix if far and away the leader, Hulu's $6 per month ad-supported service  may be more aligned with the future of streaming, according to this article.

I still say P&G are absolute fools for not at least trying an ad-supported service to stream episodes from some of their classic daytime dramas.

• Members

I always thought one of the benefits of streaming was NO ADS, yet that's the future

Please register in order to view this content

I get it, but I've yet to be encouraged to buy or click on an ad I see play. It often makes me not even want that product ... 

• Members

Who says?

Streaming is getting to be where TV has been for over fifty years.  YouTube, one of the earliest streamers, has never been about having no ads.  PBS' streaming service even has a subtly placed ad or two.  The idea of cable networks like HBO was always to avoid ads.  Netflix, which began as a DVD by mail service, has evolved into the subscription-based service it is today.  Hulu has always had ads.  Crackle has ads.  ESPN's streaming service even has ads (as far as I know, I'm not sure about their recent ESPN+ service).

I have never gotten the sense that anything online is set in stone, it has always been ever evolving.  I don't think that anyone knows what things will evolve into.  That's the Internet, in a nutshell. 

If you had asked the inventors of the World Wide Web (and people have asked people like Tim Berners Lee), they would admit that they had no idea the concept that they invented for computers to communicate with one another would turn into what it is today.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

One of the benefits was always "no ads or limited ads". At least IMO. So, I says

Please register in order to view this content

Disney+ won't at least initially and it's one of the lowest priced offerings. But of course most realize ad-free isn't sustainable.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

In the Cobra Kai thread in the Primetime section, I posted an article about how the show has a brand marketing deal with Enterprise car rentals.  Even though the show streams on YouTube premium, it is product placement, which is essentially marketing, which is an ad.

Ads are still relevant, even in premium streaming, whether people want to acknowledge this or not. Having ad dollars come in adds an extra layer of protection for a show/channel's bottom line. 

The ads are not so obvious with product placement (unless you remember those clunky product placements in the last years of P&G soaps like ATWT) but it's still there.  And it's more prominent than you think.

• Members

You know, I used to laugh about product placements on soaps.  (Remember when DAYS' Caroline Brady was espousing the wonders of some heat-and-eat Asian "cuisine" to Sami and another character at Brady's Pub?)  Then, I watched how the Hallmark Channel handled product placements for several of their goopy Christmas movies.  Lord, have mercy, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

When done seamlessly, product placement can truly be effective.  The problem is that, most times, it's tossed in as an afterthought and is not really organic to the scene(s) where the product is placed.

You would think that a company such as P&G, there would be special attention to how products are placed creatively (no running water, I guess, meant no product placement for dishwashing soap) but the product placement that ATWT attempted to do in it's final years was so clunky and bad, it was laughable. 

With the coterie of household products that P&G sells and all those storylines and scenes that took place inside the home and office, you'd of thought it would've been a slam dunk but it wasn't.  I just don't understand how you get that wrong, but they managed to get it wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Piggybacking on this ongoing discussion of streamers, I read this blog post and now I understand why there are some holdouts in the public library system in regards to Kanopy.  The cost may be prohibitive to quite a number of library systems.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...