YR: JT Reveal

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with this sentiment. 2004 was when I stopped enjoying the show on a consistent basis.

However (and in response to the wider point), the last thing needed is less soap. And as daft as this might sound, if there is ever a show that does NOT need cancelling it’s The Young and the Restless. It needs its powers that be to decide which coat of paint it wants and get the correct person to paint it. 

While I didn’t say it explicitly, I more than strongly hinted that Mal Young and his storytelling sensibilities might not be the best fit for Y&R. And it’s nothing to do with him being British. David Shaughnessy (EP up to the mighty 2003) is London-born.

I’ve lived through what he did to Brookside from 1991-1997 (shifting it from its social commentary and politically charged roots to sensationalism and headline-seeking) and what he encouraged and Head of Drama at the BBC (specifically in regards to Eastenders and Casualty, though I do thank him for creating Holby City and bringing back Doctor Who) so knew his interpretation of American soaps would be what it has been- especially as his ‘direct education’ was gained under the learning tree of Jill Farren Phelps and Charles Pratt Jr.

• Members

Helen Keller can see Nick doesn't have the brainpower for this kind of Bond villainy. This ain't Rolf we're talking about! How on earth did he finagle a life-like mask of JT's face? 

Archived