Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Members

I always wondered too how she felt about Richard Guthrie who played her son David. It's strange to think SSH was only 7 years his senior when she played his mother. She really became matronly before her time due to the aging of Julie's son and being paired/marrying Doug (and Bill in real life). 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's some 70's shots where she looks like Helen Wagner!

I think they deliberately started dressing her more matronly when David was aged, a bit like they did with Pat Bruder on ATWT.

Susan was always very funny off camera.Check her out in the video thread when she outs Richard Guthrie at an Australian awards ceremony.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Melody Thomas Scott gave an interview to Soap Opera Digest or Soap Opera Weekly in the late-90s where she was very petty about Susan Lucci being nominated for so many Emmys. She said that Lucci should stop submitting herself and let other people have a shot at a nomination. I never forgot that!

• Members

I read a 1999 interview w/ MTS (either around the time of her 20th anniversary on Y&R or the Daytime Emmys that year) where she said "I'm the non-Susan Lucci" in regards to the Daytime Emmys. I also remember a mid-1990s Soap Opera Digest awards broadcast where MTS rolled her eyes when Deidre Hall was announced as a winner.

• Members

I had taped a lighthearted episode of Geraldo once that featured celebrity bachelors and how they would approach women. This was the late 1980s and among the guests were Robin Leach, Yakov Smirnoff, Jack Wagner, Keith Hernandez, Cleavon Little, Storm Field and Russ Anderson, who was playing Steve Holden on OLTL at the time...and would come out of the closet years later. 

This one was more a personal feeling but Larkin Malloy was one of my early favorites from when he was on EON. First, he got hit by a car. Then he had some kind of apparent meltdown on a hotel balcony in Italy, I think it was. From then on, I got this concern in my head that the man was not going to have a long life. Even though he went on to continue working (not always in front of the camera) for decades and had basically a normal life, I just felt like he was going to go too early. When he passed in his 60s, part of me was stunned and another part of me was like I knew it was going to happen even though I had hoped it wouldn't.

Edited by applcin

• Members

I remember reading a blurb that said Deidre Hall might leave Days and head to Y&R at some point(in a role different than what she played in the early 70's). It was posted that MTS wouldn't be having that AT ALL and cat fight would ensue.