OWN picks up Jamey Giddens scripted show!

• Members

The latest episode dropped to 752,000 viewers and a .18 in the demo. Definitely not the breakout hit they were hoping for, but they've already committed to 18 episodes so I'm sure they have faith in the show. They're airing it in two blocks so I'm curious if they'll change the timeslot for the second half of the season. I still do enjoy the show. I think it's very well written and they're doing a good job of utilizing a lot of characters. I feel the dialogue is very real and not as tame as I'm used to on soaps. I compare this more to daytime soaps than anything and on that front I think it's holding up well. I'd still recast Robin Givens though.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If the second half airs in the winter, it will face even more competition, so i don't think even a timeslot change would improve its sluggish ratings. It may very well get a second season, but beyond that? It's looking pretty doubtful if it can't grow or sustain its audience.

The ratings are basically saying that a lot of the people who tuned in for the first episode have no interest in it if The Have and The Have Nots isn't its lead-in. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I could see the second half airing in January or February and if they get it on before the midseason shows start it might have a shot. Also having it against Pose, which probably has a similar audience isn't helpful. I honestly am not even hopeful for season two unless they stabilize at least at 1 million per episode. I haven't closely watched the ratings of all their shows, but I'm pretty sure Greenleaf and Queen Sugar average well over a million per episode. I *hope* it works because I enjoy the show, but we'll see. If they are lucky enough to get a second season I would retool the show a bit. I'm not sure if they're filming the entire season in one shot, if not I'd get rid of Robin Givens as soon as possible. Get a more credible actress in that type of lead Alexis/Abby Ewing role. You cannot convince me she was the best they can do and she simply doesn't have the fanbase or talent to cultivate a fanbase to carry a show. Call Vivica Fox, Call Nia Long, Call Victoria Rowell, hell Call Mishael Morgan. Call ANYBODY but they need to be able to act and have some charisma if they're meant to carry the show. Tika Sumpter wasn't the most famous or best actress when cast on Have and Have Not's, but she has charisma and has grown into a great actress. Merle Dandridge is also very commanding on Greenleaf, not to mention everybody at Queen Sugar. That's what this show is missing, a strong anchor.

• Members

I'm enjoying the show and don't mind Robin Givens either. I actually think she's toned it down since the beginning of the show. 

Maybe they will eventually start to focus more on other characters. Like Rondell, who I really enjoy and think is entertaining. And even though he's already getting a nice amount of focus, I think that the actor that plays Titus is great. I think that Titus so far is wonderful, and I love his speaking voice. 

On the first show it was mentioned that Stephanie Carlisle had another sister. Maybe they could bring on a strong actress to play her and that could help.

Edited by xtr

I don’t follow Jamey Giddens on social media but I am curious as to whether or not he has addressed the fact that his show has lost 50% of its viewers in just a few weeks. Giddens criticized every soap on the air and he should be called out for not retaining his audience. Welcome to the big leagues Jamey. A 50% loss in viewers in 4 weeks is embarrassing. It’s not so easy, is it Jamey? 

• Members

To be honest, it seems as if this show and THATHN's have slightly different audiences... and the writing/acting is a few notches above that particular show..imho.

I do think Givens has settled into the role now that there are some layers being added to her character... and Rondell/Vondell is the break out character... her vs. Givens is more interesting than Amaya vs Givens..imho.

• Members

The ratings are troubling, but I can't fault Jamey. Again there is good will from Susan Dansby and Michele Val Jean being apart of the staff, but I do find this VERY well written and the first truly traditional Dallas style soap in ages. I love that it isn't another extremely fast paced comedy soap which is all we get these days. It's not perfect, but I do think it's well written and that they're doing a good job of developing a world and a set of characters that could carry a show for years. I hope the ratings stabilize.

• Members

I think it was either Marilyn or Daphne. For some reason I think it was one of them and not either of the Purifoy women. I like Marilyn and think that she could be a good foe for Stephanie.

I am continuing to enjoy this show. I think that Titus and Greg Peters are sexy. I also really enjoy Rondell and I like her with Kent. But I wonder if he is up to something. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Who the hell would pick up a syndicated daily soap these days? Even weekly scripted programming have trouble being picked up... this isn't the 90s...

Latest episode rating: slightly up in the demo and viewers to 0.14, 707k viewers (last week: 0.13, 587k)

Edited by te.