Front burner to forgotten

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rita Stapleton Bauer on GL.  This character was the reason I started watching the show.  I loved her!  She got heavy airtime from (I'm ballparking it here) 78 - 82 or so then left town and it's like she was never there.  I think they mentioned her a couple times after she left but past 1984...nothing.  Without Rita, her sister and mom just faded away too.

• Members

I think it was around 76-81. Rita was such a true anti-heroine - I imagine she was one of the first for GL. And she took a lot of heat from fans. She paved the way for so many anti-heroines in the '80s and '90s. They nearly brought her back in the late '80s but it didn't happen. Maybe it's for the best. 

I just wish all her material was available. I would eat it up.

• Members

Thanks for clarifying :-)  

Yaaaass  I feel the same way.  I was completely and utterly enthralled with her story and loved the character.  My sister OTOH couldn't stand her lol.  

She was the Dobson's creation, right?  Did the change in HW regimes with Marland lead to her being written off or did Kasdorf just want to move on?  I was so young, I never understood why she left.  I couldn't believe it when she left town - I thought for sure she'd be back!  LOL.

• Members

Yes. She was one of the first Dobsons characters, I believe. 

One of those soap books interviewed GL's producer of that era (Allen Potter?) and he talked about how they had tried and tried to make Rita a more sympathetic character, but viewers never forgave her for her past. I guess that may be one of the reasons the show had her affair with Alan as her exit plot when Lenore wanted to leave. 

Archived