Y&R Character Recast

• Members

Weird?  Did any of you actually watch the storyline with Keemo and Luan?   Not only was it convoluted, it was akin to watching already-dried paint dry.  The actor playing Keemo was cardboard at best  and the actress who played Luan was only marginally better.  Anything Keemo touched turned to lead.   It was easily Jack's worst storyline ever- at the very least, PB's worst.  It dragged on forever and literally every scene that Keemo appeared in he sucked the energy out of.

Just no.  May it never be revisited and may nobody ever accuse me (or anyone) of being racist for not liking this god-awful storyline.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn’t think the story was great for many reasons (including the ridiculous stereotyping), but it’s part of the canon and could easily be used to push story forward without dredging up any of the silliness. Soaps do it all the time. Enough time has passed, and he has been mentioned in the interim. And IMO if PB can agree to doing the Marco stuff, which was just jaw-dropping in its stupidity, it’s hard for me to buy that the Keemo stuff was worse. 

Luan is dead, and Philip Moon (whom I liked) is unlikely to return, so there could be a fresh start. As soap viewers, we’ve become accustomed to late-in-life children discoveries (ahem, Dylan) with weird, convoluted backstories, but we can look past things if the dynamic between characters and actors gels. And let’s be real: PB/Jack needs all the help he can get. His days as romantic lead are waning, and his character only seems partially rejuvenated through exploring his relationship with his mother. We need to see Jack as dad, and he has children off canvas that could help create new interest. And on a soap that has struggled with diversity in the past 10-15 years (see Winters Wednesday), yes, an Asian lead with ties to an active core family (unlike Devon to the defunct Reynolds/Chancellors) would be great for Y&R.

• Members

+ a billion on this statement. The Marco stuff is probably the worse I have seen on YR.  Keemo has nothing on the Marco mess.

If not Keemo, then Keemo's son could return played by Christopher Sean with revenge on his mind for Jack's hatred/lack of interest for a deseased Keemo. He could join forces with Ashley to finally dethrone Jack for good at Jabott. It makes more sense than having a returned Kyle who is angry at Jack for no apparent reason.

• Members

Hasn't Kyle been working at Jabot's Asian division?

Ironically, there could be a logical explanation for Kyle's new anger at Jack, if he had bonded with his brother Keemo while in Asia, thinking that their father has virtually forgotten about his first-born son.

Keemo would be a really good character to fold back into a story arc, temporarily or longterm.  There are many possibilities. 

It isn't as bad as it used to be but there was a time, years ago, when it seemed as if some actors were dictating pairings and storyline behind the scenes and Y&R was the worse off because of it.

Actors are there to act.  Yes, they can consult with the showrunner to fill in character history so as to assist new-ish writers in writing consistent story and characterizations, but honestly, that should be the extent of BTS actions.

• Members

I thought they could have used Dina to tie in with this. She could have hooked up with Keemo and/or his kid(s) in her years away and they would be loyal to her and resentful of Jack, thus setting up all sorts of power plays.

Instead we got kooky Dina shipped off to Paris.

• Members

The last thing the show needs is a new Kyle. That character has never worked not because of actors but because he was poorly conceived and Jack doesn’t need a young child. Jack is in his 60’s. Bring Keemo back and give him an adult son who can actually run a company and give Jack someone who can compete with Victor’s adult children. 

• Members

Keemo & Kyle should be working together to replace Jack with Jill, Nikki, Lauren, Gloria, Ashley, Traci & Billy's full support.

They should make the case that he needs to retire as CEO to care for Dina while they run Jabot with his input.

Archived