Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My opinion on this story would be absolutely different if it was Billy, nick, jack, Devon, Neil, etc being written to do this. They are apart of core and have had steady presence onscreen. JT is a throwaway character to me.  I readily admit that. It's not about liking him but moreso about understanding he has less value than characters in core families. 

And you never said these past months how JTs controlling and abusive Behavior was ooc? 

• Members

Not really. People are complaining because most of us are used to a formula and this went against it by not doing the heavy lifting. They didn't show us how JT got here and they didn't show us the toxic relationship between JT and Victoria develop. That last part is what makes this story kind of desperate to me. They went for the shock value.

At the same time, sure we don't see a story like that everyday, so I guess we could call it edgy for daytime, but then so is two girls kissing, so I'm not terribly blown away here.

• Members

Much like Nina & Sharon JT (through past marriages and his children) is related to TWO core families.

Also you just said the current story was an important story to tell because it involved character's who viewers knew since they were teens.

So either he's a throwaway character or a character of value.

• Members

Use someone besides sharon Collins to get your point across. She long out lived  her use and I've been waiting for half a decade for the show to throw her away.  You'd have scored more points if you had listed Tracy. She's another who comes and goes on a murmur and not many clamour for her to return. But even then I'd say it's different because she is a member of a core family. If marrying into a core family meant folks weren't expendable, then why have Jack and Neil ran through so many women that  were sent packing. Half of them we don't even remember and none of which we give a damn about besides Diane and Dru. 

Us caring about a character doesn't make him/her any less expendable. I thought I made it clear that being a member of a core family (adoption or blood) did that. 

Exactly! I don't even understand why that fight was competitive. I told my mother that and she said, "but victor is in great shape". RME. It's old folks fetish/fantasy. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

A mess!

Did Trump really interrupt the last few minutes to kvetch about signing the spending bill? SMH.

I tell you who's really expendable, soap fans.   CBS just doesn't care. That news conference could've been relegated to CBSNews online.

• Members

And yet "core" family members are expendable too.

Adam & John are dead. Casey & Chloe are gone. Scott & Daniel are MIA. Olivia & Summer are in other countries.

So it's not as if being a blood related "core" family member means characters are any more valuable than veteran core family in-laws.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer Trump didn't interrupt, CBS did. It's the network's choice to air these things. Think of all the fake Russia pre-emptions that happened this summer. Hyperventilating at every 'twist' and 'turn' - it's ridiculous. Between cable and the internet, it's unnecessary, but CBS does not care about daytime. Guaranteed they wouldn't have broken in if it happened during NCAA tournament last week during the day.   

Archived