ALL: Recasts you mentally treat as separate characters.

• Members

And I liked Pierson well enough. He's obviously a good actor and was interesting to watch in the role. What I didn't see as much of with him, was Frank's connection to Jillian. There was an emotional distance between them, that worked for the storylines written at the time. Sanderford actually auditioned for Dakota Smith, and instead replaced Pierson as Frank. Instantly I thought Sanderford was better, and I felt like he fit that mold mentioned above, that Daniel Hugh Kelly had defined for Frank. The depth & history with Jill felt "there" again, his connections as a Ryan felt so much stronger, and THAT change really worked for the stories coming ahead from there.

For me, there were threads of energy and chemistry with his co-stars that made good launching foundation for JVD as Clint. He also had characteristics that felt similar to Phil Carey's Asa, and time had passed since Clint Richie had been consistently appearing in story & Clint was away, enough to where such changes in the character could be believable. Both CR and JVD had a certain confidence, strong presence, and solid chemistry with their co-stars - and then there was something in Jerry's Clint's core, that made it feel like his Clint had been there all along. In those senses, he felt like Clint to me. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't think he was just Ross with a Southern accent (although thankfully I don't think that lasted long...), I think he tried to play a new character. I don't really think he had much chemistry with Erika Slezak, which was a big issue for me. I had many, many complaints about the writing, and about how cheap it was to say oh he's the new Asa, he's the new Asa. I think Jerry did his best, but ultimately Clint Buchanan was Clint Ritchie. No one could replace him.

DId they fire Pierson or did he leave?

I haven't watched much '80s RH but I mainly remember Pierson as I felt like he had intense sexual chemistry with Cali Timmins. Given that they went on to marry, I guess he did.

• Members

It wasn't announced that he was leaving, nor was it said that he was canned. But there wasn't a casting call for Frank. So connecting the dots, it looks like Sanderford just really stood out when he was auditioning for Dakota.

And I just watched on YouTube Pierson's last episode (9/27/85), followed by Sanderford's first (10/1/85)... Nancy Addison's Jill is in the same office at the same period of time, from one Frank / one moment to the next (He has left the room and returned as Sanderford). And respectively, I go from "wow, they should probably just get divorced," ...to.... "aw, they're arguing, but you feel how painful this is for them."

Archived