ALL: Recasts you mentally treat as separate characters.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ryan's Hope really has to own this category.

None of the Pats bore any resemblance to each other physically or in personality. 

Siobhan went from a complex, layered, vulnerable young heroine under Sarah Felder to a generic bimbo whose sole purpose on the show was about Joe Novak.

Joe also changed hugely in personality with the switch from Richard Muenz to Roscoe Born - and not for the better, to say the least. 

• Members

Cynthia Watros' Annie Dutton vs Signy Coleman's Annie Dutton (I grew used to Signy's take on the character.. but she played Annie as stoic and cold... when the character was anything, but when Watros played her.)

Cynthia Watros Kelly vs Cady M's Kelly on Y & R (The character went from grief stricken over the death of her child to a subdued and elegant arm candy for Jack... within an episode.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

YES. Tracy Melchior was just... weird. It was like she understood the character history info as well as Homer Simpson could. She read her lines, and she was playing someone, but she wasn't Kelly - and she wasn't interesting.

Heather Tom was like Kelly-on-acid-and-meth. She was always pissed off about something, oddly insecure about her marriage, and irrational about how to handle those issues ("I know! I'll replace my dead baby with someone else's... Problem in need of a solution? I'll have sex with my husband's son!").  

She was at least interesting, and had a point of view - a crazy one, sure. She just wasn't Kelly to me. Not the kind of spirit one could root for, and not multifaceted enough. Her permanent scowl didn't win points with me, either.

Another character I look back upon as being "someone else," would be Krista Tesreau's Tina. From her looks to her voice to her interaction with every or any other character... It was all a completely different energy from either of her predecessors. As Tina, she was as subtle as a garlic gargle. As a different character, she was fine.

• Members

OLTL’s Tina is an interesting one to bring up.  I think it felt like she was a different character with each actress.  Even between Andrea Evan’s first run and second run she was different.  I loved Evans and Karen Witter.  Tesreau’s Tina was not good at all.

Archived