HBO: Big Little Lies

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m surprised a show as soapy as this one doesn’t get much love here. Who is watching? I don’t have HBO now, but I’ll figure out some way, as I became a big fan as the first season progressed.

They should have left the theme song (Michael Kiwanuka’s “Cold Little Heart”) alone. I hate the arrangement  of the S2 version:

• Members

Wonderful season 2 premiere. I loved Meryl Streep: The promos overdid it with her; there IS something very sinister about Mary Louise but in the episode its more subtle and definitely more sympathetic as it is all framed under her grief. Still, I am already looking forward to how much worse it'll get before she learns the truth!

• Members

I don't know about this - I think it's an act, she feels predatory in a way that I don't normally associate with many Meryl Streep characters, so I have to feel that some of this is coming from the script. I think she is trying to act like a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's clear that Celeste is incredibly vulnerable, it wouldn't surprise me if she is using Celeste for her own interests. Whatever they are - you can tell by the way she interacts with Madeline, that she isn't a dowdy Grandmother who is out of her depth. There's a sharpness there that is underneath her doting, soft, grieving persona. 

I'm calling it - the entire team will turn against Madeline, before it's all over. There's too many hints that people feel it's her fault and hold her accountable, but she is also the only one who seems to be able to keep it together of the core group outside of Renata. 

Edited by Skin

• Members

I liked season 1. Didn’t love the ending, as the entire season had built up to one moment, and when that moment came it felt so incredibly clunky and just terribly staged. But imperfect ending aside, I was pleased with what felt like a finished product, and I wasn’t especially looking forward to season 2. I was predicting handmaids tale season 2... book material run out and just spinning in circles. 

The season 2 premiere was so much better than I thought it was going to be, and I’m looking forward to season 2 now. I did really miss the Greek chorus from season 1. But I think all five leading ladies are off to really interesting starts, and the addition of the sixth leading lady in Meryl Streep is intriguing. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

After a slow opener which made me doubt the wisdom of giving this a second series, this episode was SO GOOD. All these ugly little secrets from last year exposed! I will be intrigued to see where it goes from here. The actor who plays Madeline's hubby was especially good. I remember last year he shone, too. Madeline's kids are awful (especially the up-her-own-ass Abigail) but kudos on the casting for all the kids. Ziggy is a stand out, and those twins are Alexander Skarsgard's mini-mes.

I love how un-Streepy Meryl Streep is. She is playing Mary Louise with simplicity but without losing her mystery. I am still not sure what her ulterior motive might be regarding Celeste. 

Oh! I forgot to mention Zoe Kravitz! I love how her character is being fleshed out finally, torn up with guilt (and possibly this might not be the first time she acted on her anger -- hence the yoga). She is unapologetically seething at the people around her, and that is only building.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Madeline needs to keep her mouth shut sometimes.  I love this character and she's my fave, but she gossips and totally oblivious to just how astute her younger child is.  Chloe is a huge gossip like her mother.  Then, to convince Abby to go to college, she tells her of an affair knowing this child has no filter either?  Maddie brought this on herself.  I' think her hubby could have gotten over the affair with time, but she told the daughter and she didn't tell him about Ziggy?  I'm not sure she even wants to be married to this man!  It just looks good on paper.  

• Members

Unpopular opinion, but I'm not crazy about Laura Dern this season. I thought she was better last year; here she comes across OTT. At the same time, that scene with her kid and husband in the hospital was so great, I was cringing throughout at the way she had no clue how her reaction may be affecting Amabella. And the way she tore that smug principal apart was hilarious. Hmmm. I guess I like Dern/Renata a little more than I thought! 

After last week's big reveals, though, I was worried the show may have blown its wad too early, because this episode kept things in a holding pattern. Nice to see Merrin Dungey again -- I remember her from Alias primarily.