HBO: Big Little Lies

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Finally caught up on the series and I love it!  I've always been a huge David E. Kelley fan (Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Legal were my favourites of his shows).  I love his dialogue his and his characters, and I'm glad he has another hit show again.  Yeah, I know his writing is sometimes unrealistic, but I can forgive those elements as long as the show is really entertaining.  

I really like all the main actresses (love Nicole and Shailene) and their characters (who are all fucked up in their own way).  Madeline, Renata and Mary Louise have the best zingers/comebacks -  I just love their dialogue. 

I've never really seen Meryl Streep in anything other than Mama Mia! and The Devil Wears Prada.....so I never really totally understood "the legend of Meryl Streep"..........and now I kind of understand it because I think she's just phenomenal as Mary Louise.  It's her acting and DEK's dialogue that makes Mary Louise so watchable, and entertaining, and manipulative, and evil, and so fun.   She's had so many great scenes and lines....like after getting slapped by Celeste, she says, "What should we call that? Foreplay?......Oh dear."  LOL

Oh,  and I'm just discovering Laura Dern too!  I mean I've seen some of her movies, but I never really 'noticed' her until now.  She's great!

Bonnie's resentment letter to her mom was good.  That has to be Zoe Kravitz's award shows reel. 

As far as the Andrea Arnold situation, I don't get the big deal about it.  In TV, it's the creator/writer/EP who runs the show - it's their vision.  Directors don't have that power in TV.   I agree that not telling Andrea about the changes was a mistake, but I don't think it was a mistake for DEK/JMV to make the show look/feel like season 1 (or whatever changes that needed to made).    Now I know why there's so many episodes listed, and why the episodes this season are so short. 

“I was examined, she should be, too. I was fair game. So is she. It’s my fight, your Honor. I ask that you let me wage it."  That ending made me so excited for the next episode.   Can't wait to see Meryl vs. Nicole. 

• Members

It felt like the end.  Everything fell into place, especially Bonnie finally telling her husband she does not want him and then all of them going to the police station.  I hate the show is ending but I'm satisfied.  

And can we get a "Self Made" spinoff featuring Renata?!!!!!  Dern earned it!

Also:

• Administrator

The season finale episode will probably win some awards for the show, Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep and Laura Dern.   Loved: Mary Louise and Celeste's courtroom scenes; Mary Louise and Renata confrontation at the coffee shop; Renata destroying her husband's toys with the bat. 

Season 3 definitely needs to be longer, whether it's the amount of episodes or length of episode.  

• 9 months later...