Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As a Black woman, to me, this stated the very obvious.  Still, I'm glad this is something that is being amplified. Perhaps more people will pay attention but I'm dubious.

I've never been able to figure out why Chris Brown and R. Kelly still even have careers? Although I have my theories on why the likes of these two have ascended in the R&B/Pop world and very little of it has to do with their actual music.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That makes two of us!! I did hear over the radio once that some country (I'm blanking on which one) banned Chris Brown for performing there after what he did to Rihanna. I was thrilled to hear that and to know that at least one country had some principles!!

I'm trying to think who was the first celebrity to come out and share her story of rape. I believe it was Connie Francis, even though her attacker was not someone from the entertainment industry (it was some random loser who broke into her hotel room while she slept in late 1974). She worked tirelessly to help get laws and procedures changed. 

Here is a great interview with her from 1981 (in three parts):

• Members

Poor Connie. She had so much pain in her life - including a lot after this interview. 

A former One Tree Hill writer is accusing the show's creator of harassment. Many cast members (seems to be female cast members) back her up. He now does The Royals.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/one-tree-hill-the-royals-creator-mark-schwahn-accused-sexual-harassment-by-oth-writer-audrey-wauchope-1202207461/

• Members

Yes.  As that article that Faulkner posted pointed out there are also plenty of situations that are not high profile enough to be covered. There are plenty of low level managers in all kinds of industries who have been harassing their employees. There just aren't journalists there to cover it.

• Members

I just posted an article about the prevalence of sexual harassment in Congress.

One would think that in the halls where laws are passed (or at least they used to be) would be a place where there are safeguards in place to prevent people's personal space and rights being violated but nope!

Hollywood's (and the entertainment industry) main problem is that it is made up of informal networks (meetings do really take place at hotels-lobbies, most times though) where breaches of etiquette happen daily (as an intern fresh out of school, I was once sent to the apartment of a male actor to drop off a script) but I'm still wrapping my head around lack of regard for the rule of law in government.  I mean, it's government that passed sexual harassment laws in the first place, shouldn't they be abiding by it?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yes, but these are also the people who are high on their own entrenched power. I wasn't surprised how hard it was to file a sexual harassment complaint once I really thought about it. These lawmakers always cover their own asses and make sure they are protected. Enough is enough. It has to end.

• Members

From the world of soaps - in 1982, anyway - Demi Moore and Philip Tanzini. I think the fact that he looked so much younger than 15 here makes it creepy:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/demi-moore-philip-tanzini-et-video-age-general-hospital-kissing-at-party-a8051906.html%3famp