Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If the showrunner is going to give her perspective, then the NDA really should be dropped so that the actress will also be free to tell her perspective.

Also, why is it not surprising that CBS is the parent company?  What a mess. Again.

I haven't seen enough of this series to judge whether the showrunner avoids being the chauvinist and misogynist that she claims not to be.  She is right however, to assert that women indeed can be misogynist and exhibit chauvinistic tendencies that bend toward favoring male chauvinism.

From what I read of the character Alison's arc and who seems to take on the 'blame' for the character's end though, I found somewhat disturbing but again, I haven't seen the entire series so perhaps I'm jumping to a judgement, a bit?  As a writer myself, I don't want to make assumptions without watching or at least reading the script.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sigh.

If #MeToo is a witch hunt, as Terry Gilliam insists, then I hope he's the next witch to be burned (metaphorically, of course, I'm not actually advocating literally burning someone to death, no matter how repulsive that individual might be).  Especially if he believes he can call himself a "black lesbian in transition" (even in jest) and get away with it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/terry-gilliam-interview-harvey-weinstein-victims-metoo-race-a9269136.html

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't know why I'm always surprised by things like this. Hopefully, he'll get the judge who will toss him permanently into a dungeon and throw away the key!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/08/us/weinstein-phone-judge-recusal-request/index.html?fbclid=IwAR31kH1pWEaPHWzjxfF4eqLSm0yv3GdfK5mMOkI7UnUIz7WTybxJpmJGusw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A lot of people credit Weinstein for how he reshaped the independent film industry but I think he reshaped it for the worse.  Over the past year, I've read a few in-depth articles about first time filmmakers who had "breakthrough" films, only never to follow up on that perceived breakthrough. Many of those filmmakers with of color, particularly black women.

I was reading an article in The New Yorker yesterday and it discussed a groundbreaking film by Leslie Harris that was produced by Miramax (Weinstein's first film production company).  Unfortunately, the film (Just Another Girl On The I.R.T.) appears to be Harris' first and only film. And the story seems to have replicated itself among quite a few independent filmmakers.  JMO but I no longer believe that an independent film industry exists. There is one or two true indie film but the rest are big budget movies that are labelled as independent films simply because they were produced outside of a major studio.  Some of the "indies" today are produced by a consortium of "boutique" studios, most of which are either own outright or in part by major studios anyway. Weinstein trading up from films like Just Another Girl On the I.R.T. to investing heavily in Hollywood Oscar fare (the Shakespeare In Love type fare) changed the definition of what constitutes an independent film.  Because he had so much godawful clout in the industry, the entire industry appeared to shift in his direction.  So went Harvey, so went the industry.  Just another example of how much of a shame it was for one abusive man to have so much power.  Weinstein really ruined so much.

Here's the article that I'm referencing, in case you're interested in reading it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...