Y&R: "Home for the Holidays" Promo

• Members

Had they not killed John off, this would have been a very nice touch.

Unfortunately, killing him off then having him only appear as a ghost makes it almost impossible to bring him back with any degree of logic.  

I know we're talking soaps but I thought Mal had mentioned wanting to dispense with some of the preposterous soap narratives that have stigmatized soaps from being respected as an art form. I think back from the dead storylines are on the top of that soaps stereotypes list. I can't think of a way to revive the John character that wouldn't entail a high degree of absurdity.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, tbh, I don't think John's ghost is actually a ghost. He's more of Jack's conscious than anything. But I agree that a back from the dead story for a character we've seen in that capacity wouldn't make much sense. Not that I was advocating for it, mind you. I was merely giving one scenario where Mamie visiting Abbots would be palatable. 

• Members

I seriously hope down the line Kay convinces Sally to bring John back from the dead, even if Sally is hesitant for some reason to do so.....It actually surprised me a bit when she said she wishes that John didn't die, yet she has total power to undo that...

• Members

I wish they would undo John's death as well.  I don't even want some convoluted story. Just have someone announce at the beginning of the show that they are undoing a huge wrong kind of like a PSA and then pretend he was never dead. I know they won't, but I wish they would. TV has changed a lot in the last 10 years and I believe people could accept a simple do over.

• Members

The only plausible way to bring John back is by pulling a 'Dallas' and having the last 10 years all be a dream...the only thing that would have to be incorporated into the 'new' reality is Katherine's death (which would allow for Kay's will to be a major issue, bringing back Nina and Chance and Philip staying dead).

• Members

They were there when the ventilator was turned off and he passed.

The reason is he died onscreen and would be a major suspension of belief to undo it. Look at Phillip. Doing something like this could easily turn into a hack worthy of LML, MAB, or Chuckie. It could work but then it opens up a whole other set of problems.

• Members

Undoing Phillip's death is the worst - how could MAB undo the bedside death scene where Jill, in gold lame, looks up at Kay, with disbelief at all the horror etched in her face, and groans "This is your fault. It's always been your  fault. First the father and now the son" as she weeps over his lifeless body. How could MAB do that? Just awful. 

• Members

Undoing the deaths isn't the problem. It's the follow through that makes or breaks the story.

Soap operas divorced themselves from overt realism decades ago (it weird to see cries for realism when this show was filled with people building nazi reliquaries from scratch and talking chipmunk heads only a few years ago) so it's not a huge deal to take some liberties with some pre existing stories especially if they fix previous regimes horrible choices in the process.

Archived