Last 'Classic' Soap Moments

• Members

I would say most recently, the "last" classic DAYS moments have been: 

-Will & Sonny get married 

-The September 2011 "reboot"... "they're here!" Hope exclaims as John & Marlena return after a 2.5 year absence. 

-Alice Horton's funeral, with some 15-20 past & present characters gathered around her coffin for her final goodbye. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also, Y&R post 2006, loath as I am to admit it, Phyllis' "I hate myself" on the mirror (despite the horrid music) was one of the few times the show actually did something psychologically complex and certainly the only time post 2004 Phyllis worked (for a brief minute).

• Members

The OP said:  What current moments on your soaps (current as in the last 15-20 years) do you feel qualify as true classic soap moments?

Karen testifying was almost 40 years ago.

• Members

I mean if you can't follow the exceptionally simple post guidelines, why even comment? This may as well be every other classic soap post, the whole point was that soaps over the last 15-20 years can't produce those moments.

• Members

"Use the back." That line always cracks me up.

The latest moment from soaps that will stay with me forever is Sarah's death on Shortland Street. This show has consistently given me great moments, but this was something I never imagined I would see. Sarah was one of the longest running and most popular characters to ever be on the show. Like Sarah, Rachel (a practical original cast member) became infected with a deadly virus. Sarah had managed to find the cure. Unfortunately, through figuring out the virus' cure, Sarah's MS had kicked in, and although both legendary characters were given the cure, Sarah's MS debilitated her too greatly to survive. Her exit was kept completely secret until air time, and the biggest shock of all, was that the actress was fired because TPTB felt her character's time on the show had come to its natural end, practically unheard of in US soaps anymore.

By that same accord was the death of 14 year old Pixie almost exactly a year later. Her family had thought she was out of the woods with her cancer, but her immune system wasn't strong enough to survive a case of pneumonia she caught soon after.

Archived