Jean and Shelly's one year contract up. Will ABC renew?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Am I supposed to be impressed she wrote for Y&R, the most boring soap in the history of TV?   She has written for 5 soaps according to wikipedia...if that doesn't qualify as same old same old, merry go round hack, then I don't know what does.   Why would I want anyone who has any sort of Y&R sensibility anywhere near a show attempting to be entertaining?  

• Members

+1.

I used to think Y&R had to be the most boring and stilted show around.  Then I saw what happened once the show had rid itself of the Bell/Alden influence.  Say what you will about the glacial pacing and constipated dialogue, but at least what characters did and said made sense.  Bell and his team made sure that characters' intentions were clear to the audience.  Could we really say that about Y&R now?

Regardless, though, I really wouldn't get my hopes up about Kay Alden returning.  I doubt Mal Young even knows who she is, and probably doesn't care.  If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Young were to recruit another veteran of UK soaps to succeed Pratt as HW.

• Members

:lol: The funny thing is, you didn't even have to say that you think Y&R is boring. You're one of those. Your bias was clear even before you ever replied.

Your ignorance is also showing. At least do some proper research.

She has written for two soaps.

Y&R (for THIRTY-TWO years)

and B&B (for SIX years).

Hardly an insane soap-jumper.

By the way, William J. Bell wrote for SIX soaps. Is he a hack, too? :lol:

It's not the amount of shows, but the quality. And Alden's Y&R is classic.

I personally never said she should write for GH. Not everyone fits everywhere. But GH would improve 300% by having her, regardless of how low the quality is now.

+1

Another myth & misconception. Y&R was verbal acrobatics, in itself amazingly complex and difficult to write. Despite that, every character sounded different, the dialogue had a wonderful ebb and flow and it was all very character-specific. Stylized and melodramatic? Sure. But also very, very unique and exciting.

• Members

These days not much, but I am watching soaps since 1981ish, and I don't think I have ever turned on Y&R and didn't find people staring at each other with these B.S. pauses trying to be dramatic.   And Peter Bergman has to be the worst offender of them all.   He reminds me of the ham actor played by Lionel Barrymore in 20th Century.   Nothing on that show with the unnatural pausing and constant staring everyone does resembles anything close to realistic, good acting or good storytelling.  I understand they used to have to do that constantly so the audience could hear the piano notes of the theme song under the scenes, but the show always was and always will be complete crap.  MTS and that grating voice of hers, EB and his mumbling, I have no clue how PB kept his job all these years--he literally is why soap actors and their hammy ways get made fun of, and that wax face of his with his 1970s newscaster hair.   She should rest in peace, whatshername who died last year playing Chancellor, but she couldn't act to save her life. 

I don't really watch much these days.   I watch the occasional DOOL and If I hear Constance Towers or someone I like is making a guest appearance on GH I'll watch the clip. 

The Young and the Restless

• Scriptwriter: May 13, 1974–80
  • Breakdown writer: 1980–87
  • Script editor: 1983–85, 1986–87
  • Associate head writer: 1987–97
  • Co-head writer: 1997–98, February 16 – December 22, 2006
  • Head writer: 1998 – February 15, 2006

All My Children

One Life to Live

• Story Consultant: December 2006 – April 2007

General Hospital

The Bold and the Beautiful

• Co-head writer (2008–13)
  • Associate Head Writer (August 6, 2007 – January 21, 2008; April 16, 2008 – 2008)
  • Interim Head Writer (February 5, 2008 – April 15, 2008)

Five soaps.   Kay Alden, story consultant for GH 2006/2007--one of the worst year's in the show's history.   Consulting like that no show needs.

• Members

^

Any and everyone knows that Kay Alden wasn't even used during her time at AMC, GH, or OLTL. Word on the street is, Frons snatched and grabbed her b/c SONY/CBS let her go. Everyone knows Frons was the EP, Head Writer, and Story Consultant for all the ABC shows. Kay could've submitted tons of good stuff and I am sure it was all shot down b/c it didn't match what Frons wanted. Frons love plot driven stories and Kay typically wrote character driven.

That woman is FAR from a failure. You wouldn't know that b/c you just said that Y&R wasn't your type of show. I can assure you that Kay Alden is no hack. She had her duds but she surpasses the remnants writing the remaining 4 shows by a country mile and then some. 

Archived