DAYS: Grotesque Rumor

Vee

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/story-behind-ciara’s-shocking-days-rape

Chase’s assault of Ciara in today’s episode of DAYS gave daytime newcomer Vivian Jovanni (Ciara) some intensely emotional material to play. The actress says she was first clued in to the story well in advance of getting the scripts. “When Albert [Alarr, co-executive producer] and Josh [Griffith, co-head writer] told me that Ciara was going to be raped, I was nervous at first, but also very grateful to be getting the opportunity to explore this complex and layered storyline,” she says. Because of DAYS’s accelerated tape schedule, the actress kept the twist to herself. “I didn’t talk to anyone about it,” she recalls. “I didn’t even tell my parents because they are fans of the show. I don’t share storyline with them.” As for how she and co-star Jonathon McClendon (Chase), approached the scene, Jovannni explains, “We wanted the scene to be as realistic and spontaneous as possible. After they told us, we definitely got a lot closer. There wasn’t much dialogue to go over, so we didn’t really go over the script that much; we just talked about the emotional tone of the scene a lot more than anything.” Jovanni feels the powerful tale has helped her develop as a performer. “Playing emotional material like this has opened my eyes as an actor, because I never expected that scene to get as real as it did for me. Material like this is what helps you grow as an actor and I’m grateful for the opportunity.” For more information on rape and sexual assault, visit www.rainn.org. Look for the full story with Jovanni in an upcoming issue of Digest.

• Members

I think the main annoyance is that they are destroying one of the more promising teens and that they also have one of the worst new teen actresses act this rape story out. The girl who plays Ciara can't make this story compelling enough to justify throwing Chase under the bus.

• Members

That's the thing, though: a rape doesn't just 'go away' once the storyline is over. It's absurd how much of the current population of Salem has been raped/sexually assaulted. This is off the top of my head:

Julie, Marlena, Maggie, Kayla, Jennifer, Adrienne, Nicole, Hope, Ciara, Eric, and Steve.

I'm sure I'm missing someone, but that's nuts. There's nothing distinctive about the storytelling or about the effects of the act. It's just Evil Act B being dropped into plots. 

• Members

I was about to write the same thing (and so I will!)... Far too many leading ladies (and a couple men!) have been raped on this show. Those who have outnumber those who haven't, it seems.  I'd rather not see this topic revisited yet again, especially with an incapable actress who's just a smidgen better than the infamous Charity Rahmer. Side note: If the topic has to be touched upon, I'd almost rather Belle be the victim with Rahmer in the role, purely for comedic trainwreck purposes. 

Archived