Days - More Casting

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's how I feel. The thought of them returning and immediately getting back into all the "Shelle" sh*t exhausts me. They were a drain on the show for so long.

The way to do it would be to bring one back without the other, and FINALLY carve out separate lives for the characters. Shawn should have been around for Hope and Ciara the past few years.

• Members

I blame the actors as much as the writers. MM is a capable actress, but her Belle was lifeless and old beyond her years. BB had a face of stone. Both of them were just cold as ice, which could have worked with other characters, but Storms and Cook were just too damn bubbly for their characters to become rockfaces.

• Members
Preach!

I think Shawn and Belle SHOULD be on the canvas and SHOULD be viable, but I was so exhausted by them and their returns just do not thrill me. I just don't really care. I want to see them as individuals and established as their own characters.

For example, Carrie being stuck with Austin diminshed her character. It was nice seeing Austin and Carrie doing different things when they returned in 2011. They felt like characters again.

• Members

Pretty much. I found Madison in particular an odd choice for the role.

I do agree with those who say an individual return wouldn't be a bad idea. I wish they'd done that with Carrie in 2011, as I thought Christie fit in well with some dud material.

• Members

It is sort of curious why Belle and Shawn were ignored for so long. I mean, they were almost never mentioned in any context, either. It was so strange. I've always said DAYS has too many cooks in the kitchen. I'm also curious to know who decides what and why certain writers don't care for certain characters. I also feel like someone at DAYS considers the recasts of Belle and Shawn a failure even though Martha stans for the show to this day and would go back to the show in a heartbeat.

• Members

I think part of it is the anti-supercouple sentiment of recent years (minus the MarDar year). Shawn and Belle never existed as individuals, really, so while there was theoretical value to bringing back Jennifer solo and keeping Marlena, Hope, Kayla, and Adrienne busy even while their men got thrown under the bus (which is a topic for another time…), neither member of Shelle seemed to have that going for them. If they were smart, they could use a breakup to define them more -- maybe Belle is doing missionary work in Africa and wants to stay there, while Shawn wants to be back in Salem, and that breaks up.

Archived