DAYS: April 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

If I'm not mistaken, I remember some head writer [can't remember which one at the moment] doing an interview a few years back and he/she denounced that claim. They said that wasn't true because if so, he/she hasn't been receiving their residuals. But I do remember the issue with Sam Hall suing ABC over royalties. I wonder which claim is true.

Regardless, someone who considers themselves a good writer should stick to the canon instead of coming up with characters out the blue. Justin's son could've easily been this Xander. No need in being greedy and creating a new character when you already get paid six figures for just writing long story projections.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

You are correct! Spoke with the WGA this morning and they confirmed that Daytime writers do not get character payments. However, primetime writers do get character payments if the show is episodic in nature (ie. Law & Order/CSI), but not serialized (Game of Thrones).

Note: The shows I provided examples of were given directly to me as a way to better explain the differences.

Daytime writers do receive residuals, which is not the same thing as character payments, for when an episode is re-aired online or on TV, just to be clear.

• Members

It has only one year left on its contract and with the low 1.4 ratings with a 1.6 HH rating for this week..I wonder if NBC will cancel it. The show is so boring and has no real stories to offer. Not even ATWT when it was cancelled was getting 1.4's in the ratings.

• Members

It feels like a different show when Will, Sonny, Paul, John, and Marlena are on (and Lucas and Adrienne, I suppose). There's actual momentum and a sense of suspense -- even if Will is an idiot and GW is not doing too well. The days that are focused on the Serena and JJ/Paige plots feel completely DOA.

Archived