DAYS: The returns begin for the 50th

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How sad that DAYS production schedule is so wack that 'big' announcements are coming out in March for November... Really who will care at that poiint. 50th Anniversary stuff has been done on other soaps and, honestly, parading old characters through for a few meaningless episodes doesn't help a show's flow or result in any long-term audience gains.

• Members

The show is a mess right now, but honestly, these are the sort of returns they should be working on. Everyone's been griping for months about how we won't see anyone meaningful for the 50th, but these are huge, significant characters. This is a good sign.

• Members

I'm honestly really encouraged by how well done the period of Alice's memorial was. It wasn't some one-day, in-and-out affair. People came to town two weeks earlier, we got significant scenes for the returnees (they took the time to do a Mike/Carrie scene, we got Bill/Laura/Kate, Jennifer ripped into Vivian re: Lawrence's long-ago rape of her, etc.). If they play this like that, I'll be pretty satisfied.

• Members

I'm so glad that Peter and Stephen are returning! Both actors and their characters need to be on the show! They should've never left in the first place. When Peter was there, all he wanted and suggested were some things that character of Bo needed to do and a direction to take the character in. The writing regime of that time just didn't want to do that and he left...chalk it up to creative differences. But then we were left with the drivel and mess that has been airing on our screens for the past couple of years. I was so glad that Kayla had returned, but the storyline of her and Steve not being together and he off on missions, was just a bit like WTF!!!! After they had basically reunited after years of thinking he was dead. Now yes, I think their storylines could've been handled better and differently, but let's be real the show has been BLAH and it had been that way for awhile now when they had destroyed these couples and many other pairings. About the only thing the writers had gotten correct was the end of that couple, EJ and Sami. I never liked them together and enjoyed them more as enemies. However, I know for many other fans they loved them. So for them, I know they were not happy. Another reason why that regime had to go.

At one point, the show had hit GOLD with such pairings as EJOLE, Mate (Nathan/Melanie), revisiting LUMI, the addition of at that time and obsessed Abby with Austin, the scheming Stephanie, Vivian and Carly feud part 2, Justin and Adrienne's return, and Sonny/Will romance, the re-igniting Jack and Jennifer, the end of Daniel and Jennifer, Chloe and Philip/baby Parker and many other elements that had such potential. My point is there were some great things done with the previous previous regime that should have continued and really manifested into great drama. What a difference it would have been if Nathan would have kidnapped Melanie from her wedding to Philip? What a difference it would have made if Stephanie would have gotten romantically involved with Owen who had kidnapped her and at the same time end up pregnant by the guy who had raped her doing the Sorority storyline? What a difference is would have made if EJ and Nicole were truly scheming like Dimera's, running the business and undermining everyone else's business or situations for their benefit? What a difference it would have been if Jack and Jennifer would have begin investigating a truly dangerous story that put them and their family and friends in danger? The point is with real, true, creative imagination...DAYS could have truly been flourishing and rising in the ratings!!!! There are so many different directions that would have been true to the formula of DAYS romances and adventures, as well as to the soap opera genre that so desperately wants to rise again but refuses to reach back and use the formula that works.

All I'm saying is this is a step in the right direction! Bring back characters who have a purpose and should be there. Bo returning really does create a good opportunity for Hope and Aiden's story, as long as Bo and Hope are end game. Steve returning is needed for Kayla and this time, make him chase her a for a change, In the past, she had to break through to him and his wall to get him to love. There are endless opportunities to get this soap in a prime position to rise in the ratings by telling well though out and crafted stories and using HISTORY as a catalyst to do so!

Archived