Would you watch a family centric soap?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ryan's Hope was about the Ryan's, but like any other soap there were more than one family that was important. The Cooleridge family and small Reid family were an important part of the fabric, not to mention various scattered characters that didn't have to all be related to count. I think if someone took the Ryan's Hope model they could make an excellent modern soap.

• Members

Soaps being family centric is what I LOVED about them! When I think about the Hortons, Hughes, Bauers, Bradys, Snyders, Quatermaines, Capwells, Matthews, Frames, Corys, Buchanans, Siegels, Lowells, Webbs, etc., it just warms my heart! I wish soaps would've continued the format basically instead of the variated style that exists on soaps now. They have decimated the family units and it IMO is not helping the soaps with longevity. Family interactions were always the best. And it was better written in the past as characters outside of the families interacted with them. I enjoyed them more and made the soap feel more like a real community. Families were closely connected as friends and/or rivalries. I wish soaps would return back to the format that made the shows more cohesive.

• Members

I grew up during the end of the Monty era on GH. I don't need a soap to be about a core family to enjoy it. I like that GH was both about personal relationships and "work" relationships. It still can seem like GH without a specific family.

But when I watch Days, I want to see multiple Horton's and Brady's. When I now watch Guiding Light on YouTube, I watch for the interactions between the families as well.

• Members

The only advantages to a family on a soap are A) it allows people to live together, and B) it gives people reason to care and discuss each others problems. There is no reason a soap needs a family any more than it needs a cop. On Days the true value of Hope and Jennifer being cousins is not that they are cousins but it gives Hope a reason to care about Jennifer's story and vice versa. But the same vibe could be achieved between mere best friends.

• Members

Oh now I get what is meant by family centric, yes I would there are still families out here. But again it depends on the writing and how they address old (eg like primetime Bluebloods) and new dynamics of family structures...(eg Will and Sonny married with a daughter, interracial families)...

Archived