American Crime: Discussion Thread

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Consent is not a  grey area. If you don't feel confident that you have secured a yes from someone, that means consent was not clearly given.

This is how rape culture persists, and victim blaming ensues.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Yeah uh huh because God forbid people take some modicum of responsibility for their choices in any situation no matter how horrific....

They have the preview for the upcoming episode and of course it's crazy good. I'll be shocked if they don't give the kid playing Taylor an award. Same for the actress playing the mother. 

• Members

Taylor is suffering from PTSD and was being threatened by a boy who may very well have been a part of his rape. His case is not so cut and dried, but good luck applying bootstrap logic to a sexual abuse victim.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I found it kinda jarring and distracting to be honest. I get what they were going for and a couple of them (especially the teacher and mother were very moving). 

Overall a good episode but not as strong as last weeks. Glad Eric finally confronted Kevin about "his boys" beating up Taylor and now Wes being dead. Still doesn't absolve Eric if his role but at least he sees how wrong it is. 

• Members

This ignorance belies the issue, and the point obviously escapes you.

I guess it doesn't bother you that we live in a culture where after a person is sexually assaulted the first thing out of an investigators mouth are the following:

• What were you wearing?
  • What were you doing?
  • Did you do anything wrong?
  • Were you on drugs?
  • Were you drinking?

Do any of these factors excuse the assault? Does any of this change the fact that someone's body was used as a playground for someone else's benefit with no say so from the other person? Why is it so much more important to you to dismiss and discredit the victim rather than acknowledge that this happened without his consent?

• Members

So, they expect Leslie to resign, and she turns around and ends up in charge of the whole kit and kaboodle.  She is like Freakin' Teflon, No matter what happens, nothing sticks.  I can't wait for the finale to see what ends up happening to her.

Eric's mother is a c___ with a capital C.  Some people were not meant to be parents.

Public School Principal got screwed, and how typical was it that the school had so little money, they had no help...

While Kevin's mother(RK) has grown, changed, her husband continues to be a manipulator...

Coach's daughter is gonna be collateral damage as the chit hits the fan...