Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

This was actually my favorite episode of the season sans the series premiere just for the Andre story alone. That elevator scene was fantastic. IMO, most resonating scene since the garbage can scene with baby Jamal/Lucious/Cookie.

B_TRaNqUsAA5afj.jpg

I agree with the poster that felt the brothers did tell Lucious what happened in the elevator albeit off-screen.

Looking forward to seeing this story play out more next week. I'm rooting for Andre not to give in to the beautiful Ms. Hudson. Looking forward to all the different dynamics play here - wife/husband (fear), mother/son (guilt), father/son (denial), brothers.

The Cookie/Lucious/Anika bit was a little too neat in a messy way.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh absolutely. At first I thought it was Cookie ripping 'em off until they did the long shot of all the dudes passed out. I also felt that weed smoking was implied by the general vibe of the room and dude vigorously eating, but network TV and all.

I must say, to hear some of you call this episode the weakest of the season, I can hardly wait to see what I've missed.

• Members

He's certainly hit the ignorance trifecta. Homophobic, racist and mental illness shaming all in one package. I still can't hate him though.

I actually felt bad for Boo Boo Kitty in this one. When she had tears in her eyes and said that she wasn't a treacherous person, I can see how Lucious could drive someone to desperation. Of course, she should have just left him when he was cheating on her with all of those other women, but many a woman has made the mistake of letting her heart rule her head for too long. Yes, she was very wrong to drug Elle, but since Lucious and Cookie have both committed murder in the last couple of months, I can't really write her off for that.

• Members

IMHO, last night was not a terrible eppy or a mess. It was the worst showcase of pacing, however, for the series. But I have to remember that this show only got 12 eppies and didn't think it was going to be this huge. Some of the things we are missing would be nice to see onscreen but they can be explained (Luc knowing Andre was in bad shape and Cookie knowing about Anika). Cookie finding out Anika is a double agent should certainly have played out onscreen. Here's to hoping next season gives us more because the show will more than likely go at least 16 eppies. I'm hoping for 22 because its a soap. We need more. I'm also hoping Chaiken gets a consultant. She stunk up her own creation, The L Word, and her pacing was even worse on that show.

What really bugged me the most is the confrontation with the men in the park (that was so hot). We were given the scene in its entirety in a preview last week. What was previewed happened onscreen, so there was nothing left. That was a mistake. Quick flashes of that scene would have been sufficient for a preview. They gave the whole damn thing away.

Cookie - they need to pull back on her just a bit. She is coming off as too much of a hood rat and less of a combination of a tough street chick and the great diva we were introduced to. Drunk Cookie was hilariously, however. Loved that part. TP was glorious!

Grace Gealy did a marvelous job in the first scene. She was so good, but Trai OWNED the eppy. He was marvelous, and I can't wait for this to play out.

The preview has me stressed! All in all, it was still great soap last night!

Cannot wait for next Wednesday!!!!!

• Members

I appreciate that the writing is so realistic, when it comes to mental illness, there is a real stigma in the black community which prevents people from seeking help. I serve on a state committee for mental health services and one of the things raised by other members is this stigma and the need to tackle it.

• Members

Thank you!

I remember growing up how we laughed at the mentally ill in my neighborhood. Yeah, I'm fessing up. An acquaintance once told me years ago that she was taking her son to counseling, and you know what I said to her? I told her "that sh!t is for white people". I have no problem admitting it now. I'm not ashamed, I just didn't know any better as it was what I grew up with. Looking back, I think one of my brothers could have benefited greatly from some psychiatric help years ago, but that was unheard of.

For me, Lucious is the best male villain to come along in a very long time, but there are lots of truths to this character! I just love him :)

• Members

Everyone has covered the pacing issues so I won't. I'll just concentrate on what worked in an episode I'll call, "Too Bad We Didn't Get to See That."

We finally got some interaction between the three brothers. I'm just sorry that Andre's very legitimate emotional issues with always being there got overshadowed by his breakdown. Bipolar or not, he has some very real grievances and he deserves the chance to air them without "Oh he's off his meds" being used as an excuse to dismiss them. I do like that - just like Hakeem stepped up with Jamal's coming out - Hakeem and Jamal stepped up with Andre's behavior in the elevator. There's some real love there. Unfortunately there's also a lot of damage from their upbringing.

Another moment I like was the way Hakeem played Anika. He's become a much more layered character than I thought he'd be at the beginning. I'd like to believe that what he told her about thinking of her as family was at least a little true.

Serious thumbs down to Cookie walking up in Lucious' house and evicting Anika. Throwing her things out on the street? Taking her phone? Just no. That wasn't her place. You've got your own home Cookie. Go to it. Maybe call your sister about that man you had murdered.

Those basketballs were talking to him and he did NOT like what they were saying

Edited by marceline

• Members

Yes! And I loved it. Incidentally, Dame Joan was at the Vanity Fair party and was asked by reporters if she'd seen Empire. She said, yes, she'd seen every episode, yes, she loves Cookie and that Taraji created the character like she did with Alexis as she was confident neither character was "on the page."

Brian Grazer was on same red carpet and told reporters he was anxious to talk to Dame Joan about what she thought of the show. Dame Joan as Rhonda's grandmother?