Shows Still Popular in Syndication

KMan101

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone is gonna have to explain to me what syndication is. Is there where shows air on several different channels or is where rights from one show move to another? I think the definition of syndication I grew up with is way different from what you guys are talking about.

• Members

There are two different types of syndication:

First run syndication: A show that has original episodes that do not air on an official network at an official time, but rather are aired on the days/times of a TV station's choice (Baywatch would be the best example of this).

Rerun syndication: A show that is now in reruns on either a cable network or local stations. Usually shows that reach 100 episodes or more are the only ones who get this, but there are exceptions (Punky Brewster, for example, had 88 episodes in four seasons and ran on the Family Channel--now ABC Family--from 1993-1996 in reruns).

The best example of an exception, however, would probably be The Honeymooners, which ran for 39 episodes in one season.

• Members

I think the rules of syndication has changed. It used to be that shows wouldn't begin their reruns in syndication until after their 4th season completed. But in more recent years I've seen shows in rerun after their first season! And I can't remember if it was Desperate Housewives, or what drama it was, but they were actually reairing the newly broadcast show within one week afterward, which must've been some special deal with Lifetime or whichever cable channel it was. They do the same thing now with Family Guy. A new ep airs on FOX on Sunday, and two Mondays later it's repeated on Adult Swim.

P.S. Didn't ya love getting to choose between which Roseanne marathon to watch? The one easy choice would be when one station was reairing the season 8 or 9 shows, I'd switch to the other.

• Members

I forgot Murphy Brown was added to Encore Classic! That's good because I don't think ratings would really be an issue there.

Just like Antenna TV and ME-TV don't really care about the ratings, because they just don't matter.

I think The Nanny is supposed to return to TV Land (and they're adding Walker Texas Ranger): http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2014/04/walker-texas-ranger-heads-to-tv-land.html

Have they already pulled The Nanny? I don't have cable or satellite anymore and watch the networks online when I can.

Thank you. I couldn't remember and I always confuse GAC with GMC (which as you said is now UP, which I forgot about! lol)

NewsRadio Complete Series: http://www.amazon.com/Newsradio-Complete-Series-Slim-Packaging/dp/B001DSNEM4

Archived