Shows Still Popular in Syndication

KMan101

• Members

I never watched it when it was on originally, but I do like to watch it on WGN when I can.

Monk is another show that was huge while it was in originally on and still is now, five years after ceasing production.

Bones is still in production, but the syndicated reruns have proven to be very popular as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One thing I've always been curious about are shows that initially didn't do well in syndication but ended up being successful there later on. Living Single wasn't a huge hit in syndication at first but it's now on literally every other hour on Logo (and doing extremely well from what I've heard).

• Members

I have no idea how well it's doing now, but I read somewhere once that "Mad About You"'s initial syndication run was abysmal. Which doesn't surprise me, in a way. I mean, it never seemed to get much respect from NBC either.

• Members

Yep we saw the back of it after only about two episodes. I watched that Jay Leno episode JUST for Paul's appearance (Leno is obnoxious and ugly af) and he was very publicly bitter about his show getting cancelled like that, not that I blame him. It's too bad cause I love Paul Reiser!

• Members

Mad About You was always dumped quickly by any network that picked it up. Just doesn't rerun well for some reason. It lasted on Lifetime for years in latenight, I think. But it's never stuck around. I actually think it would fit/do better on Hallmark Channel.

• Members

Paul's abysmally rated show was on NBC in 2011. Aired in April. Cancelled after just 2 episodes.

Good question about the DVD release. According to Wikipedia, Sony released Seasons 1 and 2 in 2002 and 2003 and Season 3 in 2007 but they sold poorly so it was abandoned. Shout! Factory picked it up and released Seasons 4 & 5 in 2010. As far as I can see, Seasons 6 & 7 haven't been released. Shout! is usually VERY good with their shows, so sales must have been REALLY poor.

I've always liked the show. I'm surprised it doesn't repeat better.

Murphy Brown and Night Court are other shows that don't seem to do well in DVD or in syndication. I love both of them as well.

Family Ties also struggles in syndication. It never lasts anywhere it's picked up. I think GAC airs it, or aired it, in the late night slot, and so did the Hub.

Perfect Strangers also hasn't seemed to do well in syndication or DVD sales, which is a shame. Another great show.

Seems to be a trend with 80s shows. Very few last in today's cable world. Guess there's not a lot of nostalgia for them, though I don't agree with that.

And what happened to NewsRadio? That show never lasts anywhere either. I think it's a bit underrated of a show.

Archived