Characters that viewers felt sorry for - undeservedly.

• Members

If even literally just a few people feel sympathy for Renee Dumond (Philece Sampler was beyond horrendous), Luke Spencer, Robert Ford, the Todds, or Jack Manning, among others, then I see it as way too much sympathy. And yes, Sabrina is on that list too. The propping is unbearable and her sidekicks are utterly unwatchable (Felix, ugh!!!). TC doesn't have much, if any, acting talent. And she certainly doesn't have any screen presence or charisma. The biggest problem is the way I can feel her sucking the life out of scenes.

I never watched ATWT as much as most of the other soaps. But what I remember most about ATWT's Katie was how annoying and fake Terri Conn was in the role. She wasn't a lot better on OLTL.

As for Theresa vs Gwen on Passions, I never liked either of them. I liked Liza Huber though, and I eventually liked Lindsay Hartley when she came to AMC. I always thought Theresa and Gwen were both jealous of each other. Gwen was jealous of Theresa's beauty (she even called Theresa attractive a couple times!) and Ethan's love for her. Theresa seemed jealous of Gwen being rich (she constantly called Gwen and her silly but funny mother rich bitches). They also both blamed each other for EVERYTHING. But Gwen was given the villainess treatment, mainly in the directv run, while Theresa was constantly written as the victim and put upon heroine. It was absurd. What was also absurd was what either one of them saw in Ethan. I mean, yeah he was good looking. Still he was so smarmy, smug, and arrogant (partly because Eric Martsolf came across that way in the role, and on DAYS too). I still remember the Theresa vs Gwen fanwars when Passions was still on and it was so ridiculous!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is an interesting comment. When it comes to "bad" soap characters, I sometimes want them to start winning after I feel sorry for them (but not a moment before then). I am guessing that there are other people who feel the same way.

• Members

I admit that the Sabrina character is a dud but For some reason i dont blame it on TC. The character wasnt conceived in a way that ANY actress could play in a way that will show their acting abilities. I kinda blame the writing and the directing as I cant imagine anyone able to carry this role and pull it off.

Another big problem with the sabrina character are her fans (yes she had some of those much to my dismay). They are so protective of the swann princess that any poster who dont call her the bestest thing since sliced bread are called haters and puppy-kickers and granny-trippers hateful miserable human being.

The woman lies about a pregnancy (nothing new on soaps) but she is painted as this candidate for sainthood becuz she did it to protect the child'ss bio dad. She allows a mobstr to step in as the child father (one on the lam running away from the opposite mob family no less) and shes still painted as mother of the year looking out for her baby cuz bio-daddy will be bad news.

Shes never held accountable for any of her [!@#$%^&*] and even when she does nothing but to complain and whine and moan and sulks she gets everything she wants. She doesnt have to fight for anything before everything is handed to her. And she gets credits for things she has nothing to do with or put little effort into like starting the nurses ball which fell on anyone but her's shoulders or Turning Patrick's life around after his nano second drug addiction (overlooking lulu, maxie and Piph's part in it).

I seriously see nothing compelling in the character but I still wanna think that TC would benefit of starting over as some long lost twin with an edgier personality named Enid.

• Members

I think winning and losing is relative. What one viewer would consider a win, another see it as a loss. Take Sharon Collins on Y&R. I am sure many fans think her getting back with Nick is a win for her. Not me. That's an even bigger loss than when she married Victor.

• Members

Early Carly on ATWT circa 1995 to 1996 was very unlucky especially when it came out that she slept with Mike while he was with Rosanna. The verbal beatdown she got from Emma and company was brutal with Lisa being the only person who was nice to her. Plus, she had a miscarriage after an argument with Rosanna. Had Maura West not opted to leave the show when she had her first baby, then I think Carly would have continued not to win.

Her scheme to get the 50 million dollars blew up in her face, her fashion line tanked twice, and she kept losing Jack because of her lies. I do agree after 2004/2005 that she would be a honorable mention for this topic.

Lily on ATWT after 1986/1987 would apply. The only characters that called her out were the 'bad' characters with the exception being Connor in the mid 90s. What was interesting was that Connor and Lily were friends but they would butt heads and call each other out. The mid 90s Lily was my favorite time of that character when she was married to Damian, having interesting marital fights with Damian, working on the boat as singer and part time at Walsh, and being friends with Connor & Shannon. It was the most adult time of Martha Byne's Lily life (not counting the era with Heather Rattray portraying the character).

• Members

I don't think either actor who played Ethan came off all that well. Original portrayer Travis Schuldt was just one of those generic hunks and had all the charisma as a box of rocks. He was supposed to be a lawyer, too? Uh, yeah right. If Ethan had been written with more of a personality and played by a better actor, MAYBE it might have worked. MAYBE.

• Members

Im surprised no one said this and I apologize if you did but....

Alexa%2BHavins.jpg

BABY DOLL CAREY!!!

I admit that I was one of the fans that felt sorry for her but in hindsight, she didn't deserve it as she deserved most of the misery inflicted upon her. As awful as what she did was, Babe was VERY popular and had a ton of fans that sympathized with her situation.

GH:

Britt for similar reasons. Even on this board, she is getting a lot of sympathy when she stole someone's baby and deserves the wrath that she's about to face

Emma. Maybe she deserves the sympathy but I don't care bc I cant stand the brat. When an adult yells at her I cheer bc she is too damn rude and grown for her age, yet people feel bad bc she's just a kid. Oh well!

• Members

I could argue all day about what constitutes "winning". Suffice it to say, at the end, Carly got what she wanted most---Jack and her children's love. However, most characters with that much history would have been professionally successful and in some measure financially independent. Carly was only briefly the former and never the latter.

As for Katie--there seemed to be a lot of sympathy for her wherever I was posting. Of course the tiniest shred was always too much for me.

• Members

amy, I agree! Schuldt's Ethan came across as indecisive, socially awkward, and a bit of a loser. Martsolf's Ethan came across as smug and cocky.

I would have said Babe but I don't really remember anyone seeing her as a viable character, at least not in the last years. Even some of the people that really like Alexa Havins thought Babe was a horribly written character.

I'm surprised Maxie on GH hasn't been mentioned. I don't know how I forgot her. Both Kirsten Storms and Jen Lilley are equally annoying and unlikable. And the character was a self righteous, emasculating shrew. And God knows what she saw in that socially retarded doofus Spinelli.

Jennifer on DAYS also should have been mentioned. She's still the lesser of two evils compared to that hideous character Sasha Roberts (and the really lousy actresses that played her) but she's become such an emasculating, overpropped shrew. Ever since she looked at Daniel Jonas twice, I haven't cared about her. And she's nuts for preferring Daniel and Jack to Peter Blake and Frankie. I'd take Peter or Frankie any day over Daniel or Jack. Especially Daniel! And Melissa Reeves plays Jen so cold and hard.

And how has no one mentioned Ryan Lavery? He's on my long list for sure too! I actually liked him at first when he came to town as a bad boy but then was made into AMC's big hero. Ryan's hero complex was disgusting. I wanted David Hayward to kill him. Cameron Mathison seems to be a really nice guy IRL but onscreen he's smug, smarmy, and a banshee. And his faces he makes when he's showing emotion are painfully OTT.

• Members

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for the most part have said characters that TPTB wanted us to feel sorry for. Most of the characters on my list are ones that TPTB tried to make fans root for or pity. If it was just the latter, I would have mentioned many others such as that loathesome Diane Miller on GH but she wasn't portrayed as a heroine or leading lady. It's also why I only mentioned Daniel Jonas in reference to why I can't stand the Jennifer propping. Or why many other characters I hate on GH are not on the list, since some of them TPTB haven't tried to make viewers pity. That's why I didn't put them or other characters that I hate specifically on my list. That said, it's a combination but for me it's (mostly) the former.

• Members

Usually when something bad happened to Carly, it was karma. She had it coming. You said it yourself, she lost Jack because of her OWN lies. What does one expect? Her to lie and get away with it?

There has only been one soap chatacter i can think of that always lost and they didn't bring it on themselves. Chloe Mitchell on Y&R. She lost Cane, which she should have. She lost Billy. Fine, she never had him and that was her karma. Fine. But then she lost Chance. He cheated on her and she didn't deserve that at all. Then she lost Ronan. To this day I don't know what happened with that. Then she got with Kevin. I see that as a loss because that wasn't the kind of guy, as in poor, that Chloe wanted. I am convinced they kept playing up their financial woes to point out that she had lost. Writers didn't do this with Cane and Lily ever and where the heck was he getting money from when he was between jobs. Where did he get the money to buy that bar?! I just feel like Chloe landed the one man in town that was the antithesis of what she wanted. Loss.

Archived