Characters that viewers felt sorry for - undeservedly.

• Members

Would GUIDING LIGHT's Rita (Lenore Kasdorf) count? As Madea would say, "That girl will lie even when the truth will do." Yet, even though her lies ALWAYS blew up in her face, I feel bad for her while watching clips of the show on YT, 1) because she wasn't what you might call a "bad" person; and 2) because, from her perspective, she often felt she had no other choice BUT to lie (even if we, the audience, knew and felt differently).

Another possible candidate: OLTL's Tina, as played by Andrea Evans. As others have said in the past, Tina was a selfish girl, who made a lot of selfish, stupid choices. However, because you knew where she coming from -- her dysfunctional family history, her personal demons and so forth -- you couldn't necessarily hate on her, or say, "Good for that witch, she had it comin'!".

(Then again, maybe I don't understand the question?)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I remember his saying that, too, Carl. Frankly, though, I can't see why viewers wouldn't have felt sorry for Rita -- who could be vixenish, sure, but never an out-and-out bitch -- unless, of course, their "devotion" to Ed outweighed understanding her motivations.

• Members

I don't remember Rita very well, but I think Lenore Kasdorf generally comes off as prickly. Not that she isn't an awesome actress, I just don't think she came off as warm. Especially with her sister, St. Evie standing right beside her.

• Members

From what ive seen of Lenore (which admittedly is very limited to playing Casper van dien's mom on starship trooper and Santa Barbara) I think she could come across as motherly and warmed while still being strong willed and independant not a bad set of character trait to play a multi-layered matriarch type.

Archived