Characters that viewers felt sorry for - undeservedly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Virginia, I agree about Gigi. She wasn't a great character. What's more, Farah Fath was awful and had anti-chemistry with every man she was chem tested with. Except Mark Lawson, but everyone had chemistry with him, even bitchface Bree Williamson. And when FF played Mimi on DAYS, she was so unlikable that I rooted for that spoiled twit Belle over her. There's something very wrong with that considering Belle was always an annoying spoiled twit and she kept panting after Shawn while he was married to Mimi, yet I rooted for Belle to take him. That's because Martha Madison was a better and more charismatic actress than Fath.

Cheap, I agree about Theresa. I mentioned her in my first post. She had no self control and was too much of a dreamer. The worst was how she kept choosing Ethan over Jared during the last year of the NBC run and felt "trapped" in her marriage to Jared. I didn't like Gwen either, especially during the directv run, but the propping of Theresa was unbearable. But I did like Lindsay Hartley on AMC/Prospect Park.

A lot of people also felt bad for John on OLTL when Natalie "lied" (the story was rewritten later of course) about who her baby daddy was. All John did was feel sorry for himself and Michael Easton's non existant acting made it worse. Nevermind the fact that he's always looked like such an unattractive bum. And people felt sorry for Jess for awhile, but I couldn't. Not when she became such a victim with the DID mess and slobbering all over the repellant Robert Ford. Bree Williamson's bitchface that she had on 95% of the time didn't help.

• Members

Ramsey was so (horribly) entertaining! Mostly because Hunt Block was hilariously bad. Mainly in scenes with unwatchable Michael Easton and unlikable Brandon Buddy. I laugh out loud every time I watch those scenes where Cole holds Ramsey at gunpoint and Ramsey calls him "son" in that weird voice.

From what I saw of Block's ATWT run, I hated him there. But I loved him on OLTL (for the wrong reasons like his entertainingly non existant acting and how hilariously absurd his character was)

• Members

Britta, the water filter with mono.

Jonathan on GL - anything and everything he did to anyone was always their fault, or true love. Anything.

As mentioned, Gigi, who was a terrible human being and one of the worst mothers ever on dayitme.

Add Rex, and Noble Rapist #1 and #2 (the Todds).

This too. It wasn't as bad when people could call her out on it, but that stopped after about a year, and we started getting those tantrums about her not being able to stay at the farm forever.

• Members

Cuz i dont think i have despised and loathed any character more than I do Felix i will toss him into that thread becuz i dont understand how anyone can feel hes rootable or worth feeling sorry for. My Bradsky did a lot of things wrong but none so bad that he deserved to jump through hoos to impress that obnoxious and self-centered buttinski with no life and an ego the size of Montana. Hes desilusional view of how hes some sort of god's gift to gay men makes me wanna punch him til is teeth comes out of his ass.

• Members

Yes, SMG's Kendall! Erica went out of her way to track Kendall down once she knew who she was, she invited her into her home and family, publicly held her out as her daughter, invited her to be in her wedding, and it was just never enough for Kendall. I never understood why she was so angry with Erica - if she was such a huge fan, then she KNEW how old Erica was and knew how old Erica was at the time of the adoption. Why hate a 14 year old? Even if she didn't want to believe that her father was a rapist, she KNEW Erica was 14! At a bare minimum, Richard Fields was a creepy, nasty pedophile.

Beyond that, frankly, AM's Kendall went through some really obnoxious periods where she didn't really deserve the sympathy she received - and Stuart's murder is up there. She confessed to a murder she didn't commit, and then everyone tripped all over themselves trying to help her.

Greenlee in the surrogacy mess was another case where I didn't think the sympathy was warranted. She'd always been a pretty hateful person, but suddenly her life was over because 'babies.' The whole stealing sperm thing was just over the top ridiculous, and hello, Ryan was not that great of a catch. I never understood why the women of Pine Valley were all over him. He came very close to hitting her while she was pregnant and then faked his death, knowing that she'd previously lost Leo. He was an ass, and that she went to such ridiculous lengths to try to conceive with him irritated me to no end. I guess everyone was supposed to feel badly for her, but I just wanted to smack her and yell "SNAP OUT OF IT" a la Cher.

Yes, Kendall made some huge mistakes with the blackout and choosing to use her own egg without talking to Greenlee first, but at the end of the day, Kendall - with all her abandonment and adoption issues - was willing to GIVE HER OWN CHILD to Greenlee so Greenlee could raise Ryan's baby. And what did Kendall get? Everyone in town but Erica and Zach spitting in her face at Thanksgiving dinner while everyone petted Greenlee and felt sorry for her. Kendall got thrown under the bus to support the Greenlee as martyr theme, and then Greenlee walked out on Ryan and Kendall and the baby, only to come back later and demand that she be given the child she'd previously abandoned.

• Members

I never understood why sympathy was ever warranted for Greenlee. She spent most of her first years on the show as a homophobic, scheming witch who loved to humiliate people...and she was the victim because Mommy and Daddy didn't love her.

Spare me.

Making her into a central heroine seemed to make the situation even worse.

• Members

Or God forbid, didn't get the utter and complete truth about EVERYTHING under the sun.

Lily didn't get the truth because she never handled it well. It was always an excuse to flip her lid, spread her legs for the next guy in line and generally self-destruct.

While I ran hot and cold on Luke in general (and more cold than hot), I thought the Luke/Noah/Maddie triangle could have played out a lot better than it did, had we seen Noah struggle with his feelings, instead of having Luke tell them what they were and out him because he liked him.

• Members

Carl (DRW50), I love that you and I have pretty much the exact same list! My list is much longer but I'm a snotty bitch that has so much disdain for so many characters :)

Antonio Vega on OLTL

Greenlee and Annie on AMC. I liked Melissa Claire Egan but there was nothing entertaining or redeemable about Annie when she went insane.

Jack Deveraux on DAYS

• Members

I have no real opinion on Annie, but I agree about Antonio. Other than his last year on the show, I either hated him or was bored by him. I've rarely been so embarrassed by a soap as I was by some of his plots during Malone II.

• Members

Brooke Logan comes in a close second (when one wants to talk about characters that the writing staff has a huge bias for, and for whom many audience members are duped into feeling undeservedly sorry for).

• Members

I always felt Gwen deserved more sympathy becuz the wedding planner was doing everything she can to steal her man becuz of some flimsy idea of what fate was supposed to be. I stopped watching after a year becuz i couldnt stand the Theresa is luv sob hour. I tried again when they recast Gwen with the a-ma-zing Natalie Zea who acted circle around pretty much anyone on that stupid show (except maybe the actress who played Ivy) but it was still obvious that Theresa had to win at all cost.

Archived