Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Laemmle was announced in Jan 1980 and as a replacement for Elizabeth Harrower and so there was a delay between Harrower leaving and Nina starting.

Maybe when Al Rabin came in, he quickly hired Ruth Brooks Flippen to clean house for him, possibly so Nina could come in with a "clean slate" 

Would be interesting to know what the deal was. 

• Members

Re Days and the early 1980 headwriter situation.A possible scenario.

All involve agree that the show needs a shakeup , not only a new headwriter but a revamp of the cast. Decisions are made as to who will get the chop. 

Nina is contracted and wants to work on her new characters and stories, not wanting to spend her first weeks killing off/writing out  the axed characters.

So Ruth Brooks Flippen is called in and given the assignment of writing out those characters, so Nina can pretty much start fresh.

• Members

A note on the ratings. I will be pausing the posts on the ratings for a bit due to time constraints. Look more towards probably August for the regular ratings posts to return. And 1980's ratings fans, as a teaser, you now have a LOT more to look forward to than just the first year (1980) of the decade!!

• Members

Seems like it would have made more sense to put SB on at 2 pm and do AW at 3.  Same with Texas.  AW was getting bad but it still had more to fight with against GH and GL at 3 pm and being sandwiched between DOOL and AW may have helped get more viewers.  Even putting DOOL at 12:30 and airing SFT at 1:30 could have helped Texas & SB.

Looks like SFT was holding it's own pretty well before going over to NBC.  Did Capitol do better or worse for CBS after NBC took SFT?

Russ would have been a better choice to go to Texas.  He goes to Houston and meets Kevin and Rena and the show can have him commute back and forth for a case, he interacts w/ the folks and stays there eventually.  Iris stays on AW

But DB's Russ isn't that charismatic, so who knows?

Edited by mphs19952003

• Members

The Search for Tomorrow/CBS/P&G situation is weird to me. I'm going by things that have been posted in various threads over the years. P&G was not happy that CBS moved Search for Tomorrow from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm even though the ratings I believe remained stable after the time slot change. CBS had enough of P&G complaining so they cancelled Search for Tomorrow in March 1982 but P&G found a new home for Search for Tomorrow on NBC at 12:30 pm. That move was an epic failure as Search for Tomorrow lost half its audience with the move to NBC since it was head-to-head w/ the first half of Y&R.

Capitol went on the air because CBS wanted something more glamorous to compete w/ ABC. It basically inherited the Search for Tomorrow 2:30 pm audience but I don't think Capitol performed any better ratings-wise than Search for Tomorrow did in that time slot. Oddly enough, Search for Tomorrow NBC run ended three months before Capitol ended. IMO Capitol was a placeholder/time-filler until Bill Bell had another show ready for CBS daytime.

• Members

I wonder how many markets shifted Y&R in Feb 1980. I looked at the Top 10 TV markets and most had already moved the show down an hour starting in April 1979 when CBS' new game Whew began. Those that didn't time shift in April 1979 also kept the show in the same timeslot even after its expansion to an hour.

I wonder if this happened in other markets and ultimately how many had to time shift Y&R on Feb 04, 1980.