Tainted Dreams

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another web series, another amateurish production. Flat lighting, not great sound and shaky camerawork all add up to this being unprofessional and a disconnect btw the audience and the content. And then there is the content. Episode 1 (if you can all 7 minutes an episode) picked up as if we had been watching this show all along. Fail.

• Members

I've seen some web series do a lot in 7 minutes of course those web series didn't have all the main characters this one did and were better written. I've seen web series with great production quality that look like they were shot for primetime tv. It's one thing to not give a proper introduction to all your characters in the first episode but why was I supposed to care about anything going on between those people when I had no clue who the characters were?

• Members

It probably wasn't a great decision to break up the episode into segments. After watching each segment I couldn't help but say "Dayum, these closing credits take up a lot of running time!". I guess if I had seen it as one uninterrupted episode with one closing credits at the very end, it would have been more appropriate.

I dunno, there are some good, some bad and one ugly in what I've seen.

The Positive:

• It was nice to see some of these actors again, some of whom I haven't seen in quite awhile.
  • Seeing Nathan Purdee play sort of a schmucky corporate type was oddly refreshing.
  • And KMH not giving the type of overwrought performance that she became known for on ATWT was a nice change too. It makes me feel as if maybe the direction/writing at ATWT steered her toward those types of choices as Emily.
  • Larkin Malloy, who I haven't seen in quite awhile was unrecognizable and I have decided to take that as a good thing.

The Not So Positive:

I'm not a fan of Voice Overs. Yeah, they did it on Sex and The City but it made sense then, since Carrie was a writer and when you stop and think about it, when they flashed-back or forward, you'd usually see her typing the whole thing down on a keyboard while sitting at a computer. It was done in an artful fashion that made sense.

With Tainted Dreams, though, I feel like it's merely a device to quickly and with ruthless efficiency relate a bunch of exposition. That in itself is no sin but I feel like the voice-over without reason just grates on me.

Speaking of grating--

I feel like this episode is venturing a bit too close to hauling out every web soap/low budget trope from the last few years. Some of it is bordering on stereotypes. Having worked in 'the arts', TV included, I can say that while there are gay men, some gay men are quite masculine and don't give off an effeminate vibe in the least. Some do and there's nothing wrong with showing it, of course, but wouldn't it be nice if there were a gay male character on one of these web soaps where it he is guy who just happens to be gay? Maybe even have a few people (who don't have such accurate gaydar) wondering? Then they find out he's gay but no big deal.

Kind of like when a women finds out a good looking guy has a girlfriend just in casual conversation at work (I wouldn't know anything about that of coursewink.png ).

The only Ugly would be the garish lighting but I could overlook it, if/when everything picks up, hopefully.

One Final Question:

Is Blondie's the de facto location shoot for Web Soaps? I seem to recall at least one web soap (don't remember which one) that filmed scenes there.

• Members

Carolyn Hinsey works on this show, right? That might be why her damn bar is in there. Did she drag Thorsten Kaye in?

Most webshows look like crap and only get notice because the soap "press" wants to cling to certain cast members, but I will try this later.

Archived