Another Y&R actor out??

• Members

And it's probably not bull but DD can't say more. I want the soap "press" to do their jobs and find out what happened. I want to know!

I was chatting it up with someone on Twitter who believes CBS needs to make a statement regarding this one guy who was fired and the future of the show? How often do executives in your workplace talk about and give details of someone's termination? NEVER!

This was about a terminated employee and not a hurricane wiping out the studio! No statement was needed.

As for the joyous occasion for many of us? This is not about extreme pleasure of someone losing their job - far from it. This is about an arrogant SOB who believes his co-workers are inferior and was not smart enough to keep his business to himself. No company wants their dirty laundry on a social network.

If JFP had a penis, this post would not be 16 pages long!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, the fact is that while this has been going on for a while with both Lynn Latham and Maria Bell, JFP is here right now and she is no better than them. She's at least as bad, she's just very different than them, and she's the one currently in place. So people have a right to tear into her, IMO. I think they should be coming down on her for a bad Y&R. But I'd rather come down on her for the right reasons, which aren't about these overrated actors so much as the entire show being strip-mined and made over into the most boring, dismal Brand X knock-off soap on the air. The overreliance on these performers under the last regime helped tank the show, as well as so many stories and larger choices. JFP may have divested Y&R of these actors, but she has also made her own very unique version of Bad Y&R as well. Both Maria Bell's and JFP's Y&Rs were/are very bad indeed, IMO. If people have forgotten that they should be reminded. I'm sure that for them Bell's at least had the "virtues" of Miller, Muhney and Stafford, but I don't agree with that - I think both Y&Rs are unwatchable for different reasons. That said, JFP may not have begun the rot of Y&R but she is certainly continuing it with grinding determination.

And I do think Steve is a FOJ now. That's part of how she survived at GH after her take on the show, born from the same vision as OLTL and AW, bombed spectacularly - she ingratiated herself to the top men, and kept Steve in clover. I'm sure they are friends, and she has spared no expense trying to make him the star of Y&R. Poorly so. If this was ten years ago and Steve didn't exist, we'd have Tim Gibbs. Steve Burton is now the new Tim Gibbs. That's his career trajectory today.

I did not watch GL in 1994, no. If that was the year of the transvestite serial killer, at least that was happening, ugly though it was. Nothing happens on Y&R.

• Members

I will leave GL 1994 with these words - Mr. Tashewa. (think Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's)

For me, she's better solely because her Y&R is not based on actor ego trips or demands. I think LML and MAB both let certain actors have way too much power and kept too many people around based solely on their alleged appeal.

The show itself still feels like a wasteland, but at least there are signals that they've stopped assuming all they have to do is focus on supposed "fan favorites" and the rest doesn't matter.

I think it's more about Sony than about JFP. I think they saw him as a bankable name. Burton was a popular lead on GH for two decades. Tim Gibbs was an actor whose sole daytime success was a year or two on a soap that was perpetually near death (AW).

If JFP was calling the shots in casting, I think we'd have seen Robin Christopher do some guest stints, we'd probably be seeing Kale Browne, John Bolger, etc. popping up.

• Members

Wonderful post, but I don't think it's too late at all to salvage the show. There just has to be the desire. If it's about pennies and catering to stans, yes it's over. However, if Jill had FrankenRon's drive, YR would be the best it's been in about 7 or 8 years. And please don't misunderstand me, GH is done for because it's pure rotgut, but FrankenRon are inspired to do the best. Unfortunately, it's their best. That's the difference. Someone with FrankenRon's drive who actually knew what they were doing would have GH #1 on every level. YR needs this!

• Members

Oh, I remember Mr. Tashiwa. God!

I'm sure Sony likes the idea of Steve Burton, but JFP had to sell it. They are friends, and he is now her big star. She's picked many up over the years, as she did many of the names Carl has mentioned, but he is her biggest.

And Chit is absolutely right that while Frank and Ron's work at GH is often, let's split the difference and say extremely questionable because I think there is such a volatile mix of there of decent stuff and absolutely terrible horseshit - however much we can take apart their show, the fact is they are passionate about it and driven beyond reason. They never stop, regardless of character beats or pacing or whatever else. They go to the wall. JFP, OTOH, is just churning out the gelatin squares by comparison.

• Members

Oh hell yeah SB being on Y&R is all JFP, but I am not sure JFP is the one who fired MM, I think Sony did.

I also don't think JFP has sunk Y&R, but she hasnt improved it either, the show is terribly boring and the cast is way too large.

I also think it is way to late to try and recapture "old Y&R" but it does need an identity shot in the arm that it is missing.

I am LMAO at the delusional Shick fans being all excited that MM is leaving!

Archived