Hollywood Reporter: Soaps Producer Ramps Up ABC Lawsuit: 'Mega Soap' Fraud Scheme Alleged

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is so crazy to think that there could be a soap lawsuit this high profile. I do think PP is right about a lot of things, but can they prove it and beat Disney? Then again, Hunter Tylo beat Aaron Spelling in that high profile Melrose Place lawsuit. The biggest thing working in their favor is how quickly GH killed Cole and Hope off and the long term contracts with the actors. Of course we know PP only had rights to characters, not actors, but by giving them long term contracts you end any hope that they appear on OLTL.

• Members

I think PP could win this suit but 95-125 million in damages?

But not high enough to produce a second season on its own..AMC had no baggage. No reason it would be hindered. PP feels the shows weren't successful as they thought they would be (they were hoping to get as much as 50% of the tv audience) because of ABC's interference.

FV was shady but I don't buy into that argument.

• Members

I was reading the latest document and it's a lot better put together than the previous one. It sounds more professional and lays out the facts more clearly. For example, that they have emails where ABC is saying that Todd, Starr and John will all be short term characters. Also, how Frank Valentini kept giving them the run-around about Cole and Hope, finally admitting they wanted to kill them off, but bring them back at a later time. They also have emails stating that they opposed it and ABC's law team confirmed they wouldn't alter OLTL canon or kill anybody off. Even the long term contracts were discussed and was something else that ABC assured them wouldn't happen.

ETA:

Other juicy bits as I read this:

- There is an interview in July of 2012 where Vicki Drummer (Frons' replacement) says that soon ABC will have OLTL and AMC back in their hands.

- Jennifer Pepperman discovered all of the GH story changes when trying to get the scripts and continuity together. Prospect Park then went to ABC who didn't deny not asking permission to make the "canon" changes, but said the writers could easily fix this. PP asked for a list of changes to OLTL they made, but ABC declined.

- Apparently, there was difficulty deciding on how to write the OLTL characters off GH. Originally Carlivati pitched an accident involving Jack, Liam and Natalie that would force Starr, Todd and John back to Llanview.

Sidebar: I actually like that. Had ABC actually allowed promo, it would be cool to bring those characters onto GH and then have this accident happen, which could lead into OLTL's premiere. I wonder what they actually came up with, because what we saw on screen was very last minute like there was no plan.

- In January 2013 when PP decided to contact the Llanview 3 to appear on OLTL, thats when they found out the actors already had multi-year agreements and couldn't do that. They couldn't close deals with Easton or Alderson, but Roger Howarth was willing. ABC would only allow him to appear in second position to GH and only on the dates they decided he could film. Valentini told Pepperman that if she didn't agree to their terms Re: Howarth that they would re-cast the actors in new roles.

- ABC said (in an email) that they didn't disparage PP and tried to convince the actors to appear. They said that PP offered a popular actress a spot on the new OLTL and then changing their mind is what made the actors gunshy about appearing. I wonder which actress?

- In March of this year ABC and PP came to an agreement about using Todd and PP agreed to all of ABC's terms, including keeping Todd primarily on GH. In the same month they signed the amended agreement stating this, ABC announced Roger Howarth was playing a new character.

Sidebar: I guess this is why OLTL actually mentioned Sam and some of the events on GH, which would suggest they planned to do crossovers.

- We already knew this, but it confirms that ABC refused airing any promos for the new soaps, didn't give up the URLs and wouldn't allow them to be mentioned on GH's Facebook or website.

- PP and Hulu were in discussions to have Hulu help pay for season 2 of these shows, but they believe ABC put a stop to this. ABC and FOX share voting control over Hulu, so this is probably likely. The lawsuit states they AMC and OLTL were more popular than other shows Hulu has financially backed, so why else would they pull out of funding unless ABC said so?

• Members

Yep I could see a settlement in PP's favor soon. This is what happens in discovery. More stuff comes to light and this makes ABC look pettier than ever and makes FV look like an egomaniac ass.

Id love for them not to have to pay the fees while ABC was in breach. I do I hope PP victors here

Archived