Hollywood Reporter: Soaps Producer Ramps Up ABC Lawsuit: 'Mega Soap' Fraud Scheme Alleged

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never heard anything about her being signed to a contract, and I wouldn't believe it if I did. She turned a short role on B&B during that time, which a contract would have made impossible. She also never seemed terribly bitter to me - she was always happy to go do a stint on that show.

• Members

Well remember, only KA and ME were on long-term contracts at the beginning. Then within those next few months, they decided to bring Howarth on permanently. Or maybe, they planned on bringing Howarth on full-time later the entire time. I could believe Kassie was originally part of that plan. Vee, you missed Kassie's rants and raves on Twitter about being left out when Roger was brought on full-time then.

• Members

Possibly but more likely they are simply being billed by the hour. I guess it's possible that PP arranged what law firms call an alternative fee/billing arrangement which might let them pay a monthly retainer that time would be billed against but IMO that's unlikely. BigLaw tries to avoid alternative billing whenever possible. It's the type of thing you agree to when you have a huge client where you might be able to cross sell business. For ex. if working on this trial would make it possible for the firm to pitch for PP's tax work but that kind of thing is more for large companies where you can pitch to work on their labor and employment, tax, real estate, government reg, etc… matters. Admittedly, I don't remotely claim to know what kind of work PP can offer a law firm so anything's possible. After all, it's not like these shows were the only things PP ever did and they may very well have other projects they want to try in the future.

This firm seems to have a pretty active entertainment practice and it looks like they have a focus on new media/internet entertainment but I won't lie, I'm genuinely surprised that they were able to find a firm of this stature to take their case, especially going up against Disney.

Disclaimer: All this is speculation on my part. It's based on work I do in my real life but it is speculation.

• Members

Kassie depaiva never signed a long term contract at GH or was offered. If she was she was more then able to take the abc contract. Just because PP owned the characters they didn't own the actors and they had zero agreements with PP. honestly I don't believe PP has any thing that contract that states abc to profit or do anything with these shows. Abc didn't want anything to do with them. In a perfect world of we could go back April 11 2011 abc should have absolutely cancelled all my children it was in deficit, very expensive and very bad ratings. OLTL should have remained. It should have the chew-oltl and GH instead it wasn't.

• Members

I don't know how much they did that really. AMC got (slightly) bigger numbers on Hulu and even more so (I think) on OWN and it was off the air longer, and had no characters hanging around Port Charles. So did they really?

I'm with Vee here. I find this all embarassing for all involved, and like to seperate the upper execs of PP from the people directly involved with the good to great product we got. Of course if by some odd miracle this leads to more of the shows, I won';t complain, but...

• Members

It's not that there weren't valid complaints about how ABC and GH mishandled the licensing issue. I think there are valid complaints, and people who fluff them off saying "it's a soap, big deal!" are either ignorant or willfully ignoring the harder legal realities in favor of what they'd like to happen. Yes, it is a soap, but in this case it was apparently a binding agreement. Going on and on about Hope and Cole and Tomas Delgado, or Téa's baby or Todd and Blair, does look absolutely ridiculous laid out in the complaint, however. There's got to be a more dignified way to outline some of these liberties, if in fact the liberties were taken - ABC, IIRC, claims PP rubber-stamped all of this, while PP claims the opposite.

The whole complaint still reads as beyond melodramatic and grandiose to me - I can't imagine that most legal complaints are written this way, but I wouldn't know. But there are a few spots in there where, if what's alleged about the documentation and the timeframe is accurate, someone at the network would potentially have a lot of explaining to do.

But at this point, what is the upshot? What's the purpose? If the objective is just to get more money, it's not going to happen. It's never going to be enough to make the venture self-sustaining; another source of solid capital is required to do that, not just trying to hit up the network. Even if this suit is based partly on a valid series of complaints, this is not the optimal way to make that right IMO. And after a certain point a responsible company has to gauge how much alienating various parties is worth in the long run, IMO. You already have any number of loons out there who soured on PP long ago for daring to say they had more right to the OLTL characters legally than Frank and Ron. No one in the "soap press" is ever going to bother to read this complaint in terms of chapter and verse or the documentation. It's become an emotional thing. The bottom line for me is that everyone in the case is to blame and no one wants to give an inch.

• Members

Kassie depaiva never signed a long term contract at GH or was offered. If she was she was more then able to take the abc contract. Just because PP owned the characters they didn't own the actors and they had zero agreements with PP. honestly I don't believe PP has any thing that contract that states abc to profit or do anything with these shows. Abc didn't want anything to do with them. In a perfect world of we could go back April 11 2011 abc should have absolutely cancelled all my children it was in deficit, very expensive and very bad ratings. OLTL should have remained. It should have the chew-oltl and GH instead it wasn't.

Archived