When Adoptive Family Members Are Lovers...

• Members

Am I the only one who finds this nasty? Soaps do it all the time, and sometimes I like a couple and then I realize they are related. B&B is a great example of this.

Here are some. I don't each couple, but there are some who come in mind:

Max and Chelsea, DAYS. [uncle, Niece]

Max and Stephanie, DAYS. [uncle, Niece]

Bridget and Ridge, B&B. [siblings]

Brady and Kristen, DAYS. [Cousins]

Rick and Phoebe, B&B. [uncle, Niece]

Rick and Steffy, B&B. [uncle, Niece]

Marcus and Steffy, B&B. [Cousins]

Ned and Skye, GH. [Cousins]

Shawn and Belle, DAYS. [Cousins]

John and Kristen, DAYS. [uncle, Niece]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tend to find it nasty too. One notable exception where I didn't mind it was Lucky and Liz on GH.

As far as B&B, Ridge and Bridget, I don't think Eric ever adopted Ridge, but they were nasty nonetheless for a couple of reasons. For one, Ridge was there when she was born and thought she was his daughter for like the first year of her life. Second, she was raised thinking he was her blood brother. Learning that they didn't have a biological connection, shouldn't have been a go ahead for them to develop and act on feelings. Ewwww. At least with some of the others listed, the characters didn't grow up with each other, but these two were very much family from the moment she was born

How were Shawn and Belle cousins? His parents are Hope/Bo and hers Marlena/John. Does that have something to do with John's latest retconned history? if so, I don't hold that against them as this happened YEARS after Shawn and Belle's story began and I think they were off the show by the time that story played out so it never was a factor in their relationship

Marcus and Steffy on B&B? Not a problem as the adoption didn't happen until AFTER they were together. When they were a couple, they were two strangers without that familial connection

• Members

+1

Ridge and Bridgette was ridiculous. He though the was her father at one point. Then 5 minutes after thinking they weren't related they get romantic. That was disgusting.

I didn't mind Rick and Pheobe nor Rick and Steffy for some reason. Maybe because the Forresters and Logans were always antagonistic so I didn't think they had much of a prior relationship. Although they thought that they were uncle and niece for years when they were kids.

Devon and Lily on Y&R just annoyed me. If they wanted to pair them they should have never allowed him to be brought into the Winters family. End of story.

• Members

I've never watched B&B regularly, but I distinctly remember watching an episode in high school where Brooke and Ridge were having breakfast with the kids, Eric Jr. (long before that "Rick" crap) and Bridget. For him to have a romantic relationship with that little girl, in the real world he would have gotten his ass beat by a troup of uncles. That is so fucked up.

• Members

In the real world, it never would have happened because SORAS doesn't exist lol

Of course, ATWT's Holden and Lily are a prime example of this. I'm still not 100% sure how they worked it so that they weren't related. As it stands, Lily is the daughter of Holden's adoptive sister Iva. Lily's father is actually Holden and Iva's sister's ex-husband.

• Members

The only way I can make sense of Ridge and Bridget is tht the two were emotionally confused. For him, Taylor had just died and he just learned Eric wasnt his father. For her, she was still dealing with her marriage being blown apart by her mother having an affair and giving birth to her husband's kid. Im glad the furthest it went was a kiss bc if they had sex, then there would have been no turning back from that.

• Members

Bridget was named for him, FCOL. I don't know how Bell thought that would EVER fly. EVER. B&B is just weird that way, being 99% a two-family show for so long.

Adoptive doesn't bother me as much---maybe I'm just blanking, but other than Holden&Lily, I can't recall anything that came close on ATWT or GL. I was squicked out by the Craig/Dani thing on ATWT, even though it'd been 25 years since he'd lied about being her father and it was mercifully short.

• Members

I wish to God that I could see the entire Mac/Iris saga of the '70s. From what I've read and somewhat seen in the few episodes I have, there were some inappropriate undertones on Iris' part and I would particularly like to see how that evolved after she found out that she was adopted. That was of course retconned when Carmen Duncan assumed the role, but it was firmly established in the '70s.

• Members

In Iva and Josh---yeah. Josh raped Iva at 12/13, when Iva thought they were blood cousins. It turned out they weren't---neither were Snyders. Iva was adopted and Josh's father wasn't a Snyder, which is why he was abused.

• Members

there's only 3 I can think of from that show and they're stated in the opening post. None are even adoptions, but I guess close enough. In that regard, B&B is no worse than the other soaps mentioned. Days is probably worse with its convoluted family trees

• Members

GL did go there with Fletcher and his adopted sister, Meredith (RIP Nicolette Goulet). She was super possessive of Fletcher, and it came out when Fletcher was going to marry Maeve. Thank goodness it was quickly dropped! Shudders!

BB is such an incestuous show that TIIC thought it would be easy and super compelling to go there with Ridge and Bridget, but not even the BB audience was going for that one. It was shameful that they went there in the first place. The moment they learn someone is not blood related, they just go for it. Bridge was too much! Heinous!

Archived