HBO's Looking

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My boyfriend and I binge watched the first four episodes yesterday, and maybe its because I don't watch and have never watched any of the shows you guys are discussing, but I loved it. I hated Patrick at first but he's growing on me. I much prefer Augustin's hot boyfriend, than him.

• Members

I love this show, because I wasn't expecting it to be like SATC, QAF or GIRLS. I love that I can identify and understand (at times), where each of the three main characters are at in their lives on this show.

I'm old enough to remember how crazy you can be, when you're still single in your late 20s, questioning your life and relationship in your 30s and wondering if you've made the right choices in your life when you turn 40.

I also like that these characters are not over the top and hilarious every 5 minutes and that they are portrayed as sexual beings, but it doesn't justify their entire existence.

• Members

I FINALLY caught up (I was forcing myself to finish an essay before watching, as a sort of reward, though that didn't stop me from wasting hours on forums and even commenting on here already) so am back reading the comments I skipped over. I don't have much to add, but...

I think the Augustine/Frank thing was foreshadowed by the fact that when they DID open their relationship up to a threeway (for the first time, I think) happened to be the day they were moving in together. Aug clearly does have feelings for Frank, but he's not willing to let go of his other life yet. Add in the callboy, and I think he feels like he's missing out, or yet to experience some mythical amazing experimental life (if that makes ANY sense) and is still searching for that. It's a bit more complex than the same old grass is always greener thing.

Haigh's first film, before the excellent Waiting, was Greek Pete which I thought was interesting but not really that great. It was a half docu half fiction piece following a London male prostitute (basically the "actors" were all real people playing themselves but the scenes were staged albeit based on real scenes.) I know Haigh is exec producer and the head director but not officially a writer, but I can't help but think he instigated this storyline.

• Members

Wasn't it Agustin that initiated the beginning of the threeway between Frank and that other guy? He is completely behaving like someone who thinks he's missing out on something.

That's why Dom made that offhand remark about giving the move in 6 months to last AND Patrick being startled by Agustin's little omission of not telling Frank that he's going to pay TJ to "model" for him.

I'm so excited about tonight's episode.

• Members

I loved last night's episode. It struck so many notes of identification for me - I've had similar conversations with would-be lovers in my day. And it's now more understandable how Patrick, a decent-looking thirtysomething in SF, has had so little experience. He's an "ex-fattie," and has deep-seated body and insecurity issues. Plus, his conservative upbringing has an impact. Those things, plus workaholism, can do a number on you for years.

I thought Augustin was hot in the first episode, but the show has done a good job at killing my attraction to him. He's a prick.

• Members

I think last night's episode was the best so far, but I concede that I may be basing that on personal taste rather than actual quality. What struck me is how QUIET the episode was. No noise, just conversation, character, no plot development beyond the development of a relationship between two people. I have a habit of not looking at the TV and I felt like the episode could have been on radio and would have been just as effective.

• Members

I pretty much agree with everything the AV Club said in their review. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/looking-for-the-future-107072%C2"'> Great stuff (not surprising that Haigh wrote and directed since it did play a lot like Weekend, except we already know these characters somewhat well by now which in some ways made it work better for me.) And a rimming scene on tv! :P I actually found it interesting how they brought up the whole "bottom shame" thing--I don't remember the QAF remake doing that :P

• Members

It was a good episode but at times it seemed to just lag. That scene at nighttime....maybe it was just my television but was it hard for you guys to see the characters? It seemed like it was cutting to black or something.

As for Patrick and the little ese I dunno I did buy their connection. The intimate scenes were pretty good.