HBO's Looking

• Members

The prom was touching...I'll def admit to being moved by that.

Part of me wants to suspect that this whole heavy investment in Kevin is being done super obviously to show that its all a mirage and that in the end Kevin is absolutely the wrong kind of person for Patrick. However like you said they keep making this relationship seem more and more real so who knows.

I don't care of Ritchie is with Patrick or not. I think he's perfectly fine without him. If anything I thought they were going to go down Ritchie and Augustin but that hasn't happened. Ritchie deserves way better and the show should develop him. I did like his less than stellar thoughts on Patrick and Kevin. Very real and very believable.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am fine with Kevin not being Patrick's be all of everything, but they are setting up the relationship to be very important to Patrick, to the point where I don't believe it is going to be believable if during the last second, he runs into Richie's arms at the end of the season. That just doesn't make sense, and would go completely against what the writers have been building this season. They are digging the Kevin and Patrick relationship deeper and deeper, and I feel like this past episode was the nail in the coffin for a Richie-Patrick reunion this season. Patrick feels further away from Richie than ever, and I just don't see a real tether there anymore. They are barely friends, have little in common, and now Patrick has committed himself to another man. If the writers wanted to show a Richie-Patrick re-connection I think they should have gotten together in the 5th episode of this season, and have Richie and Patrick sleep together or something, because as it stands now there is nothing there between them and nothing to pull them together again.

I feel the show has done a real disservice with the character of Richie, it's like he is just a lost doll waiting for Patrick to play with him again.

• Members

The only time I ever see talk of this show online is Kevin/Patrick. Kevin/Patrick this, Kevin/Patrick that. Someone sent me a PM at another site months ago asking if I watched this show and told me about Kevin and Patrick.

So I do wonder if the show may push more toward them being the main couple if they get another season.

• Members

That makes sense because Tovey is the bigger draw compared to Raul. So he's going to be the beacon and talking point in bringing more people to Looking. He's been in more projects, is the bigger name and has a larger and more solid fan base in all the core social media channels -- the top rated episodes of Looking this season have been the Kevin-Patrick centered ones (2x03 and 2x08, they have been the only ones to pass 300k viewers in live watching, for comparison purposes the Patrick-Richie one netted a 190k, half of what the Kevrick ones seem to get). So I do think they are fairly popular. The Being Human UK was reasonably a successful crossover story, so interest there might be fueling some people's interest. That being said the writers and the cast have pretty much been saying from the beginning of their press tours that Richie and Patrick are end game and soulmates, which I think they've done a pretty bad job show casing this season. It's clear most of the emotional investing is being put in Patrick and Kevin, 7 out of the 8 episodes have really been about growing their relationship and having it transition to different levels.

So those things being taken into account if Looking does get a third season (I doubt it will, I think HBO would have renewed it by now if they were interested, I think they've moved on to Togetherness). I don't think Tovey will even be apart of it -- he's been doing other projects and hasn't really done much promo for Looking at all this time around compared to Raul who is barely on the show but is treated as a main cast member and is doing everything in his power to promote the show. I think they would want a cast member who will promote the show actively, especially given how low the ratings are, and how if a season 3 occurs it will likely get even worse. Here are some ratings averages based on the seasons numbers so far.

S1 - .38

S2 - .22 (-.16/-42%)

If Patrick and Kevin break up there would be no reason for Kevin to be on the show anymore. Richie himself is kind of barely hanging on without Patrick to anchor his story. But I really do wonder what this show will look like, without the triangle. It's clear that's where the show is getting most of it's heat and interest from. But I agree Kevin and Patrick are all over Tumblr, and seem to have a following from what I have seen in all the main outlets like E!, Backlot, etc.

• Members

Isn't it getting a wrapup?

I finished the first season a few weeks ago, and while I liked it more toward the end, I still think the writing and casting for Patrick was a critical error. I never cared about which man he should be with (I thought he was horribly patronizing and dismissive of Ritchie and I hate to think this was someone's idea of true love), and that seemed to be the only real storyline the show had.