HBO's Looking

• Members

Are they taking the Super Bowl off? I thought it helped its ratings last year.

LOL!!! Well, this show can get dangerously realistic.

Oh, I looked at the preview right after I posted my thoughts. I could see that happening since Richie is observant. But I still bet on my theory. :P

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I finally gave in and binged watched this from the first season till now and what a great little show!

That being said they completely buried it underneath a terrible pilot, so no wonder no one is watching it. I'm only watching the show for Kevtrick at this point though even if Ritchie and Patrick are endgame, which I think is more likely now seeing as the actor playing Kevin has his hands in multiple projects. The friendship between the guys is also quite nice, which is such a stark contrast to Girls where you wonder how they are even friends with each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally saw episode 3. What amazingness.

Patrick & Kevin are falling SO deeply in love. They are showing us so many sides, so many little moments, that the phone call in the end ends up being very painful. This is so not going to end well. I want it to, because I want Kevin to stick around.

Thank God that, so far, it was only promo trickery that something happened with Richie and Agustin. I'm so glad that he apologized for his AWFUL behavior last year and is seeking to become a little better.

Why am I not surprised that Dom plays rugby? LOL I don't really understand why he's so upset that Lynn wanted to help him but, at the same time, I get it.

Doris and Malik are priceless. Doris is so funny. She earned every bit of that promotion.

• Members

I think the show is messing up by so blatantly end gaming Patrick and Richie. It feels like Patrick and Richie have been destined to be together since Looking Toward The Future and it's a detriment to the story telling because it's clear that they are incompatible people. Yes Patrick loves Richie's free spirit, and he seems to exoticize him but I don't see any real love there. It's clear that Patrick doesn't love Richie because he doesn't see Richie as being his ideal man, they are very different socionomically speaking and we can see that Patrick cares soo much about that stuff. Look at the way Patrick and his mother react to Kevin when she thinks that her son is dating him and how Patrick is basically internalizing "I wish" in that scene and then contrast how ashamed Patrick seems to be of Richie when he introduces him to his friend. All in all it just doesn't mesh. It's a sad situation because the actor who plays Kevin is clearly going to have other projects to choose from so he won't be on Looking long. But we see how much Patrick really wants a guy just like Kevin and he is going to get burned for it. Richie feels like a consolation prize at this point.

I don't really get why Agustin has to like Richie? Does anyone know why that is happening? It feels like forced story telling to have them be friends. Richie needs to be in Patrick's sphere for this "triangle" to work, but there is no real way to fit him in so they just picked Agustin to work him in there. I think the writers are trying too hard to be pro-Richie this season and to keep him relevant, as Patrick has all but driven passed him for Kevin.

Edited by Skin

• Members

You're very right and I've said as much in the past. Patrick is an elitist and he should just own it. I also don't understand why Augustine apologized to Richie at all. I mean all he said was that Patrick was "slumming" it and that he should stop stringing Richie along. Hardly the diss of the century or even an insult. If anything he was trying to spare Richie some pain and agony. So the whole thing was just weird and very inauthentic to me....

The whole destiny episode between Richie and Patrick was def laid on thick. But I do feel like they've spent a lot of time showing how Patrick and Kevin also could be destiny.

• Members

I thought the fight between Richie and Auggie was as much about their cultural differences even if they were from the same culture as it was about Auggie thinking Patrick was slumming it. You know, representing the whole 'differences within same race' ideal. Thus, Auggie's apology for being so condescending to Richie back then in the latest episode. I could relate to both since I've had such debates on one hand and have waaaay too many people who want to dictate who their friends should date simply based on my skin color if not just my current (emphasis on current) pay rate.

For me, I like that the writers are keeping a very light thread out there for the Pat/Richie fans. But it seems clear to me that this season is all about Pat/Kevin. Which...I think is a good thing. Last season was all about Pat/Richie and what their problems would be if they got together. And now this season is about Pat/Kevin and what their problems will be. Good or bad, Pat will come out of it learning something. But it seems like by the time he does, Richie will probably be with someone else. So...what to do, what to do.

• Members

I could partly see this, as the writers were kind of driving home that Agustine was a rich, over privileged white boy, with no talent who was conveniently of latin descent at the end of the first season, at least according to Frank. But again this seems a bit esoteric and ill formed just as Richie's understanding of hispanic/latino pride was in the finale. I know they aren't meaning to do this, but it feels a bit like insert your stereotype and culture beliefs here for some characters and not accurately portraying them in the full text of the show. It feels like the audience is being told to fill in the blanks in some spaces where some further characterization or understanding could go a long way in figuring out what is happening with these characters. Is Richie feeling disrespected because Patrick was freaking out over having Richie meet his parents in person? Or is he more upset that he thinks Patrick is ashamed of him? It's not clear and the Richie character feels undefined even now in the second season, because he is still dealing with issues that came up in the first season.

Overall the Augustine/Richie relationship feels awkward. They had one interaction together and that was the end of it. It feels contrived to have them be "friends" now. I get that Richie is the good guy who is still a little hung up on Patrick, but the forced connection and friendship with Augustine feels very contrived and is basically bad plot driven writing.

• Members

Who is to say that they will not get into that in time? Some characters are not richly formed when they appear. Just look at the main characters. ph34r.png

I will say that Richie being the one to find Auggie was contrived. And the apology moreso...if they are hanging out in the next episode or so. But that might just be a little bump on the 'Auggie works on himself' arc. And it just happened to involve Richie...whom he wronged. Now eventually, he is going to have to delal with Frank then...and I'm all for that.