Will Smith and Family Shocked at VMA's

reallyhateskateonlost

• Members

Will you marry me wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

I don't care if Miley accomplished her mission, I loved when actual talent ruled the music world. When the artist kept their clothes on and mesmerized us with their voices. My friends and family tease me because of the music I listen to, but that has not deterred me one bit.

Oh, and no one who's ever met me will ever accuse me of being a prude!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once again, I was talking about the career and the performance, not the personal life. My main point is the absence of variety in popular music, you just rarely see anymore a beautiful love ballad become a hit, because they are not released and pushed. Where is another "Unbreak My Heart"?

• Members

Okay, let me try to make my point again. You are finding no "variety" because you are not looking for it the right way. You can't use 1978 methods of discovering music to find a good summary of the current music scene. Simply listening to the radio won't introduce you to various singers and bands who sell concert tickets and have loyal fans. There are tons of love ballads out there, regardless of whether or not they become radio hits, if you look for them.

And really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQFFLBMEPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8BRvqGCNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzHIouo8Q4

Three of the biggest hits of the summer, right there.

• Members

Totally there with you, AMS. All these people that complain that there's no good music anymore becasue they don't like what is mainsteam are really just ignorant. If you actually care to listen to good modern music it is easy to find and there is tons of it.

Here's a beautiful single by British Jake Bugg entitled 'Broken' that came out a couple months ago.

• Members

Really? He sounds like a drunk drag queen. The age issue is not my problem, part of it is singing style... female singers don't have the uniqeness they once did, they all just use tons of melisma to try and imitate Mariah or something, and most of the male singers sing in the gravely forced stage whisper. I mean, there are a very FEW that I've heard that are truly good, such as Jamiroquai and Scissor Sisters... but otherwise, it's all gimmicks in place of real heartfelt music most of the time.

• Members

AMS done came in here and shut it down! The "there is no quality music today" argument is incredibly tired and honestly, just stupid. Just two years ago Adele was the biggest artist in the world, with songs like "Someone Like You", a ballad. There is plenty of good music today, including the NUMBER ONE HITS that AMS posted upthread. But apparently, if it wasn't made in 1960, it doesn't count? So incredibly tiresome.

• Members

I don't know why people are surprised by Miley's image change, she did sing a song called 'cant be tamed' a few years ago.. so you knew it was coming. Hopefully, this is just for show.. but time will tell. The reason it got more attention was because of the fact that it was a train-wreck performance, it was a former child star/singer, and the song was catchy.

For all the talk about Gaga copying Madonna, she obviously isn't copying the one trait Madonna made a trademark.. reinvention. I was hoping Gaga would have come out looking completely normal and wowing the audience with a great song.. no such luck. It was a decent song, but I wasn't shocked/blown away by the performance. Now Miley's performance, I was thinking 'hmm.. interesting'. Though I'm wondering if there is any flack/outcry for Robin Thicke, who looked like a dirty old man up there. Miley is 21, and she is just acting her age.. but he's 36/37 years old.

Archived