Will Smith and Family Shocked at VMA's

reallyhateskateonlost

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think streaming and digital copies impact sales the most.  Vinyl seems to be making a comeback to some degree as certain stores and Amazon are pushing that media.  People purchasing singles (even in digital format) are not that much of a novelty because 45s were popular at some point. People probably bought more albums for the sake of getting a single song (if it wasn't available as a single release).  It's still occurs today.  There are some tracks that are only made available if a person purchases an entire digital album.

I appreciate really good singers but some of the best dance music is recorded by mediocre singers.  Then there's Mariah Carey who has a great voice but chooses to go the breathy sexy route and not hit the high notes.  The issue I have now and then is the lack of originality. Maybe we've gotten to a point where there really isn't anything new under the sun. 

Since I love pop music, I will never have trouble finding any.  Every decade seems to have something to offer in the frivolous pop department.

I think the fuss over Miley Cyrus is unwarranted. She seems to know what she's doing and more power to her.

• Members

Yeah, vinyl IS making a resurgence, sales increased 400% in the last 24 months, that's pretty impressive. Many people want physical media for photographs, liner notes, lyric sheets, etc. I'm of the opinion that the mass general public may like digital downloads, but TRUE music lovers want physical media. Singles have been making a comeback on download, because people WANT singles. After the 45's went away.. which was around 1988/89 they did go to cassette singles for a while, but they quite producing those as well, although I bought them all the time. I think the last cassette single I bought was Chic's "Chic Mystique" in 1992.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-sales-nosedive-as-cruel-summer-rolls-on-20130806

• Members

Ha, I knew that was coming. I don't think it's a matter of being a "TRUE" music lover as much as it's a matter of being a collector of physical merchandise, or merely having a preference for it. Frankly, I'd rather not have the clutter. I have books and CD, VHS, and DVD box sets that are special to me and I won't get rid of them, but I'm not trying to add to that pared down collection if I can have something digitally and can read all of the trivia and interesting tidbits online.

My high school chemistry teacher had a huge vinyl collection and he insisted that no new technology could match vinyl's authentic sound. I agree, but to me that only "matters" depending on the track. There's something to be said for that studio synth sound, it's perfectly appropriate for several genres. I love live-in-church vinyl recordings of gospel. You feel like you're right there.

• Members

This. I dont know how many albums I have in my iTunes collection but its in the hundreds, if not thousand mark. I dont have room for all that in my apartment nor can I can take them around with me wherever I go. I cant go for a run with my CDs. They are prone to scratching and can break, get lost, etc... Digital >>> physical media when it comes to music. Its not about being a true music lover or not. Its about practicality and convenience.

• Members

Because the digital media you so love is not a true representation of the music, because of the inherent compression involved. If your'e satisfied with lower sound quality, more power to you, but I love the music enough to want to hear it in it's pure, unadulterated form. That's what I mean by TRUE music lover. Digital media vs. CD or vinyl is like the difference between a TV dinner and a fresh, homecooked meal. If you want the "Spam" and "Velveeta" method of listening to music, then go right ahead, but some of us have more respect for art than that. Your attitude is a product of your generation, I don't blame you personally... it's the environment you've been brought up in, instant gratification, speed and convenience over quality. Little to no attention span, an entire generation of squirrels.

• Members

Yes. After three drawers full of CDs, carrying them back and forth between continents, and a few bags of them too, I had enough.

Let's see if I got everything:

Squirrel

No respect

NOT a true fan of music because being a fan of music is based on whether it's in pure, unadulterated form or compressed.

Dude, you are SO fanatically stuck in the past that you just cannot see how this comes off. And this comes from a person who will still buy a physical CD every now and then.

laugh.png

• Members

I wanted to say that this is a VERY good point. It just may be a matter of everything has been done before. There certainly has not been any albums in the last 10 years that are considered historical, cultural touchstones. Albums that will live forever in our culture.... I'm talking things like Sgt. Pepper, Thriller, Dark Side Of The Moon.

Archived