Is Josh Griffith out at Y&R??

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe this is true. The guy who wrote the article is clearly connected (especially since SID retweets his stuff), but he's also heavily biased due to his friendship with Maria Arena Bell. Reading that article, he had some good information, but he just killed it when he started going on his tangents. One thing I WON'T get excited about is a good new HW replacing Josh. Y&R is a very specific show and JFP will just bring in another one of her friends. I still don't understand why anybody thought Josh Griffith would work out when he's had such limited success as a HW. Hollywood Heights SUCKED and they basically brought that entire team to Y&R. I could understand attempting a takeover with people from a show people LIKED, but that wasn't the case.

• Members

The sad thing is Phelps is actually the best producer since Shaughnessy. However, I think Sony should have considered someone like transferring Noel Maxam back to Y&R from Days to be EP before bringing in a complete outsider. I think that's the biggest problem with Phelps, Griffith, etc. is the outsider factor and a lack of understanding for the show.

• Members

Well it seemed that someone didn't like this regime's changes and all stories were dropped. Summer's paternity, the break-ups etc.

I liked some of their changes like the introduction of an alternative Lily in Hilary, Tyler, Leslie and the Abby-Kyle recasts, but I couldn't care less for boring Avery and Dylan & Chelsea's soap in a soap. Please no FOJ as new headwriters, no need to turn Y&R into the typical JFP show. I'd love to see Kay Alden, Jack F. Smith back. Oh and Sally Sussman just so that I can see Dina Abbott Mergeron again.

Josh might be happier at B&B. He loves the fashion aspect and using B&B characters.

I am still furious with this regime for giving Katherine a health crisis as her final storyline, something JC didn't enjoy at all.

• Members

I completely disagree about Phelps and I LOVE her producing style, but she's changed everything that sets Y&R apart from the others. Her new sets are bland and forgettable. They burned down the Newman ranch, a lush, luxurious set and now it looks like a dead hotel lobby. All of her sets are too bright and it doesn't look anything like Y&R. I haven't seen anything that suggests she's doing a great job. The music is not great either. Of course with a good writer I could deal with her, but they lost something great when they lost Ed Scott. Look at the way B&B is seamlessly integrating so many regular location shoots and they look AMAZING. Whether the show is in Italy or Aspen or in the parking lot, it looks like a primetime show. Other daytime shows may do decent location shoots, but there isn't a soap that looks as professional as B&B. Another thing about B&B is that it proves that the Bill Bell style still works and can bring in viewers. I don't understand why they don't try to follow the examples set by B&B.

• Members

Wasn't this the guy who wrote the weepy love letter to Maria Bell? Who is this rando and why should I believe a word they say?

It's obviously spun as a biased revenge piece against the post-Bell regime, as well, which drains it of any credibility. Not that I think JFP and JG are doing anything terribly good either, and often some very bad things, but this guy just seems like another loon.

• Members

I don't know whether any of it is true but it sure makes for a juicy few minutes of gossip.tongue.png

Seriously though, I usually look sideways at 'articles' that present themselves as writings of journalistic caliber while being riddled with grammatical errors.

I'm taking it as the opinion piece that it really is.

• Members

Unless 2023 is actually happening in the Y&R universe, I'm pretty sure you guys mean the 40th Anniversary party.

I'd love to see Kay Alden back- maybe then I could start watching again and become invested. Don't get me wrong- I still LOVE JFP and her production style, but I've always found Josh Griffith's writing to be lackluster at best.

• Members

I'll believe Kay Alden goes anywhere but B&B when I see it. It seems to be the Valhalla for a lot of good soap writers who just feel like coasting and picking up a check on a shitshow for the next 30 years.

• Members

Absolutely--given some of the names on their, admittedly, small team, B&B should be incredible--not a constant, campy (admittedy enjoyable in small bursts) retread soap it is. I've always thought too that some talented soap writers are just happy to have an easy--and maybe fun--job there while they can.

I'm a big Griffith defender--but simply because Malone's work is almost always better with him, something Malone gave him credit for (of course Griffith did apparently create the problem we have with Todd to this day by pushing to keep him.) EVen in the not-very-good/crazy 2000s return of Malone to OLTL, it was still better when Griffith was with him (it's ironic he is working with JFP who likes to control the writing on her shows so much--even if it doesn't seem she did with Guza at GH--since Griffith left OLTL that time very publicly complaining about Frons' interference.) But he's never really shown much strength with his solo stuff.

It's all conjecture, but I could see JFP really enjoying her time with JG at Hollywood Heights, and now at Y&R her regretting bringing him on and having differences of opinions. If she has any say, however, and they do bring a new HW on you can bet it will be one of her past faves... (Maybe McTavish? Whose work--without JFP--at AMC I often loved and defended but really did work as a yes-woman when working with JFP.)

Archived