Is Josh Griffith out at Y&R??

• Members

I think their is only one thing at this point that can save this show and it is CBS and the Bell's need to join forces and take control of the show and its time Brad Bell steps in and takes control as the the Executive Producer of both Y&R and B&B. he would have to step down as writter of B&B but maybe its time for that as well. he would name Kay Alden as Josh Griffith co head writer who I would keep prob just needs to get away from that snake JFP and after his vacation will be fine. The show needs to return to its roots behind and in front camera but in order to do so Bill Bell's vision has to return via his people he mentored as well as his son who prob is best suited to lead the show.

The new Y&R team would consist of

executive producer of Y&R and B&B Brad Bell

associate executive producer Ed Scott or David Shaughnessy

Head Writters Kay Alden and Josh Griffith

Sony namely Steve Kent need to be told to go home and if they have done nothing but try and distroy the show First LML now JFP. Time for Brad Bell to step in and take back his father's legacy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JFP was brought in to raise ratings. Sister soap B&B was, and still is, beating the pants off Y&R in drawing new viewers. Unfortunately, Phelps was the wrong choice to lead this turnaround. A strong visionary she isn't. Nor does she seem to realize that the very things she's changed at Y&R to date are the things that longtime viewers consider sacrosanct: the music, the sets, the look and feel that makes Y&R so distinctive (or did until JFP came on board). Also, the shift from core characters to newbies like Steve Burton has done nothing for the ratings (Burton has always been overrated). JG's lackluster and rudderless writing only compounds the situation. If JG goes, JFP needs to go. They're both responsible for the mess Y&R now is. A fresh slate is needed: new EP and HW. It's tempting to look to Mr. Bell's proteges to salvage this train wreck. Some have suggested Bradley Bell as EP, with Alden returning as well as Ed Scott. Certainly there are other writers and producers from Y&R's iconic past that might return too. What would be a disaster, however, is to keep Phelps and allow her to make decisions about a new head writer or head writing team. Phelps doesn't know this show, doesn't get it and never will. It's not Santa Barbara, Guiding Light or Another World. It's a totally unique entity, created with love and great care by a genius in the daytime field. IMHO, the reason AMC went so far astray over the years is that it had so many head writers, even if Agnes Nixon was the nominal head of the show. There were too many visions, which is what's slowly happening to Y&R. CBS needs to step in now. Steve Kent at Sony can't be objective. JFP is a very close friend. He staked his reputation (such as it is) on bringing her in and turning things around. It hasn't happened. There's a lot that needs fixing at Y&R, and there are some very talented people out there ready and willing to do it, but JFP and JG need to go.

• Members

B&B is a very different soap than Y&R (obviously). It has only 18 minutes of playing time, enough for a "B" story, but not a "C" story.

I can't imagine a more disastrous choice of head writer for Y&R than Megan McTavish. Her style of writing and understanding of character are the total antithesis of Bill Bell's vision for his creation. After all the shows McTavish has wrecked, she doesn't need to be anywhere near daytime, much less a show like Y&R that's floundering. Her "ripped from the headlines, over-the-top" plotting is embarrassing. She's also known to be very difficult to work with. Y&R needs a cohesive team with everyone pulling in the same direction. The old guard knows the show so give them a stab at restoring it. The last thing CBS or Sony should do is let JFP have input into who the next head writer or head writing team should be. History proves how little she knows about choosing and nurturing a really strong HW and writing team.

• Members

Oh please make sure you understand I think McTavish would be completely, utterly wrong for Y&R. I said I defend her to some extent, but even if she somehow did her best material at Y&R (and really she only seems capable of getting AMC right--and only then half the time,) it would be utterly wrong for the show. But I could kinda see JFP wanting her there... was my point... JFP LOVED working with her--and often seemed to dictate story (when OLTL was under JFP after she fired Pam Long there was a long stretch where JFP was writing the show--uncredited--as well. When she finally brought on McTavish the tone and style of the show did not change.) I think McTavish is like JFP in that she may have a rep for being hard to work with (OK, nobody has more of a rep for that than JFP) but there are also people (and I'm not saying they're right) who, if they get along with her, *love* working with her blindly.

I don't think AMC really fell off the tracks--as bad as McTavish's late 90s brief era was--until Frons. We now know from those AMC Finale magazine interviews from Agnes that she was pushed further and futher out of the story loop--finally having Pratt actually not allow her to even sit in at story meetings.

• Members

Jill's not going anywhere.

They brought her in to cut that show down to the size they can drown it in a bathtub in, ABC-style. That mission is accomplished more everyday.

I'm not here for your eternal Megan McTavish redemption tour, Eric!

• Members

Megan McTavish may just be what the show needs. They tried someone of the Bell legacy (MAB) and it flopped. This ain't 1997 anymore. Time for someone that would completely renovate the show (in the same way that AMC is seeing a renaissance by letting go of the cancers of the last decade).

• Members

That is exactly what they've been trying to do for years and it hasn't been working. They have NOT tried anybody with the Bell legacy since they fired Kay Alden and Jack Smith when LML was writing. I actually think had they kept Alden/Smith/LML as an equal team Y&R would be on fire. When they were all writing together it showed great potential, but they gave LML too much power and it hurt the show.

Another thing, B&B's gains have been happening for around 3 years now. Even when the other soaps were in the dumps, people were raving about OLTL's "great" ratings gains (over record lows) while B&B just kept going up and up for years now. They didn't reinvent the wheel, they simply updated the B&B style and focused on what they're known for. That's what B&B is having success with as well. DAYS and GH are also having success by staying true to form, but modernizing things. The changes at Y&R have never made sense.

Archived