Is Josh Griffith out at Y&R??

• Members
I couldn't agree more. And seeing that clip brought back so many memories.

The 21st century (younger) 'target' audience has been raised on fast moving, sharp cutting, musically-skewed television.

As great as the writing was by Bill Bell and the style he taught to his protégés, it is sadly seen as unworkable and too slow for today's target audience (and it is all about the 'yoof' as would be said mockingly in Britain).

I think there is an argument for 're-educating' this and subsequent generations on classic, individual storytelling rather than the identikit model that seems to exist now.

I can equate the CBS/SONY action to a bastardisation of the Tortoise and the Hair. The tortoise (Bell Style) went at its own, often slower and considered pace, taking its time to think and pick things up along the way. The Hare (current approach) raced ahead, picking up a head of steam, and initial momentum, but invariably it lost steam and momentum. And when all was said and done, the Tortoise, with the aforementioned pace, won out in the end, because of all it had picked up and the pace was consistent.

In 2013, there is no Tortoise. It has been withdrawn from the race, and Hare can't make it to the finishing line. So when it has run out of steam, and cant continue, the spectators and officials will collect their stuff and go onto another event. Their are no winners. Not American daytime soap, not the viewers. No-one.

The above analogy is a little messy, but it hopefully demonstrates the quandary the longtime viewers find themselves in. Almost as if the networks (particularly CBS) want to leave them/us behind in favour of the younger audience.

The trouble is, they aren't interested. And they aren't there.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That goes back to my theory about the length in Movies. Back then we had movies like Doctor Zhivago, Gone with the Wind, and Lawerence of Arabia that went on for HOURS. They say that they can't make movies like those anymore because nobody has the time to see them in this fast paced time. My theory is that if they did make a movie that is 4 hours long and it was compelling enough people would see it and enjoy it. There is just a fear that it won't because everything else has sped up.

I can apply that to soaps as well. As long as they write each episode with a "Every day is a new day" concept they can do 7 year long stories. They could tweak the old model by having a short recap after a major story beat that would cover the story up to that point.

I always found the identification aspect in soaps more appealing that escapism. If I can relate to the emotions of the characters or at least go "Wow! Those emotions can happen in real life" I am sold. That Y&R clip is outlandish the sense that a guy had an affair with his dads wife. That doesn't happen!! But they brought in human emotions, which made it believable.

Basically, the Bill Bell method WILL apply to today's kids. I am 22 and I find that 10 minute clip more riveting than an entire episode in 2013.

• Members

Oh mother of God. I admit that I spent $2.95 to read Nellie Branco's ramblings. NEVER AGAIN. I want my money back! Nellie is a bitter queen who is ticked off that HE didn't know Josh Griffith was fired and someone else knew it before ole Nellie. Advice: NEVER, EVER EVER buy Nellie Branco's so called e-zine. Lesson learned.

• Members

Insightful post, and true, I think. Characters an audience can relate to and care about have always the hallmark of the really great soaps. But it takes really sharp storytellers who understand the form to deliver consistently. Sadly, as soap head writers of today have become interchangeable, mostly due to network and sponsor interference.

Archived