Y&R: July 2013 Discussion

• Members

This resident in Britain agrees with you. Though I disagree that we can never return to the Shaughnessy/Alden & Smith days.

The problem with the show is that there is no real impetus. Like TPTB don't really believe in the drama they are putting on our screen (what little drama there is). It feels like the show is going through the motions. The technique is there, but the belief isn't. Maybe because the people in positions of power don't have an understanding of the history.

The first mistake, back in 2006, was not just firing Alden and Smith but basically every major backstage person who had worked their way up into their roles. Remember that Josh Griffith has no ties with Alden, Smith and their crew -- he was brought on by LML, when she and Barbara Bloom got rid of everyone, as her co-HW. And as we know, LML wasn't interested in writing soap. Cliffhangers virtually ceased to exist under her tenure (and Griffith tends to lean towards that approach, too) and all the qualifiers of the Bell era -- sweeping music, fresh flowers, lush direction -- were phased out.

Second mistake was going the ABC soap route of sensation and whacked-out SLs which were MAB's m.o. When I talk about soap opera, I don't necessarily mean doppelgangers and people falling into volcanoes and burning fetuses in a fireplace (although the gaslighting of Ashley story started off with some promise).

Given that Alden is still working, and some of the Old School crew are still dotted around B&B and Days, it might be worth calling them back to the fold. I like some of the newbies on my screen (Redaric W comes to mind) but seeing MTS in yesterday's episode reminded me who is the true heart and fire of this show. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

And the music, dear God, the music! I know JFP claimed it was cheaper to commission a whole new set of background music, but I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe. Just dig into the archives and use the really old Y&R stuff! Those pieces are the most stunning and stirring anyways. My guess is that JFP doesn't know how to EP with that kind of music. And she promised Sony a "modern, youthful" show and, in her mind, that music just doesn't fit in with that. If only she realized that good music, no matter the era, bypasses generational divisions!

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What goes up must come down and vice a versa, sometimes "ruined" or "destrcvution" is a good thang for a character like Sharon; emuff with the passive agressiveness of the character and bring her into the villiany we all know she is capable of; I know SC is def gonna bring it!!!

• Members

I agree largely with this and maybe I'm just being defeatist and somewhat accepting of how things are. And in that case, shame on me.

And of course there is the 'rumour' that Kay Alden is now 'available for work'. I phrased it as such because only one person has reported the exiting of a writer. People have deduced it is Alden and are willing her back to Y&R. We'll see what happens there.

All the traits you (and I) stated are what made me fall in love with Y&R firstly when UK Living premiered in 1993 and they showed episodes from 1986 then spent and hour jumping 3 years forward to the time Peter Bergman became Jack Abbott and showed it until 1998 when they were broadcasting episodes from 1994. Then again more recently when they showed episodes from 2003-2006.

I really couldn't abide by the ABC soaps so to see Y&R essentially become one is disappointing. The music issue is most galling because I feel it was Phelps simply trying to mould the show in her image. Hence why Cates and Antoinelli were brought into the music departments.

• Members

Somebody in the their status update on this board was asking about Kay Alden -- I saw it this morning. But I did not realize until your post that she is currently "free"! I would love it if she and Shaughnessy or even Ed Scott were to return. Nobody alive on this earth knows what Y&R is about like Kay. She wrote it and shaped it almost from its inception. We need to utilize this amazing Y&R resource -- one that is super-talented at writing! -- while we still can! It is supreme folly and incredible hubris that Sony and CBS are not taking advantage of this opportunity. I can only put it down to ego -- ego that the Sony model, the JFP look, is the "best" there is.

I remember those UK Living runs of Y&R back in the 90s -- weren't they on Sky One, too? Y&R was so beautiful to look at back then -- more beautiful and glossy than its Primetime peers (like the Spelling stable of Melrose Place, 90210, Pacific Palisades etc., which were sunny and pretty but not truly lush). The Y&R music made that lushness completely unique, almost like modern-day film noir. No joke.

• Members

The Sharon I love watching, the "strong" Sharon, is the one from 2005-7. The one who wore Phyllis's lingerie to confront Nick on his cheating. The one who told Nikki and Victoria to stuff it when they berated her for leaving Nick, turning to Phyllis and saying "They now have you to kick around." The one who laughed with Drucilla and supported Neil and his family when Dru died. The one who was a pillar of strength for little Noah, even after Cassie died. The one who wouldn't let Phyllis blackmail her without a fight. The one who was soulfully, sweetly in love, taking her scenes with Josh Morrow and Doug Davidson to a level other than just the "sexual plaything" she was later written as.

Crazy Sharon may be fun and may finally be exacting some revenge, but she's not strong, to me, like in the examples I mentioned above.

• Members

Can't disagree with the above and the noir example is a brilliant one.

"Folly" and "Hubris" are terms and descriptions than can be applied to most executives and networks, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if she isn't approached at all. I said in another thread that for all her attributes, qualities and the fact that she was mentored/handpicked by Bill Bell himself as his successor, it seems, sadly, that daytime soaps may think they don't need or want her anymore.

• Members

GOD no. No more Amber. She worked on B&B during her last run, but only just. God bless Adrienne Frantz for trying, but Y&R (indeed all soaps) have more squeaky voiced Valley girls than they know what to do with.

Archived