Y&R: July 2013 Discussion

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First things first -- MTS is magnificent as Nikki. She looked amazing at the benefit and her delivery of that MS speech was some of her best work. I love her, and her scene with Billy Miller recently was excellent, too. Miller really perked up when he got that scene with her, and put away his usual bag of tics to deliver something a lot more real and naturalistic.

But that Phyllis fall -- god, that was bad. They should have just trotted out that Fake River CGI and had Sharon push Phyllis over the same cliff Drucilla went down. I don't know what MS did to piss off JFP, but filming on some back staircase at CBS and (in the previews) have Nick and Avery come out there to make out, oblivious to Phyllis's lifeless body, seems kind of like an FU. Not that it hasn't been a long time coming after YEARS of propping this character's more heinous actions, but why stop now, at the very end? Also, it may be karma, but not sure how I feel about Sharon's hand in her (I assume) demise. Because Phyllis will become a martyr and Sharon will be forever tagged as Crazy Evil Sharon for doing this.

I will miss Phyllis/MS because she stirs things up and soapy SLs come out of that. The show just got even more dull (certain individual characters notwithstanding).

• Members

I try to watch the show as much as I can (given the rather unstable, stop/start access a British viewer has to full episodes). I've got to say, it's not easy viewing. Although a little more tempered, something still feels off about the writing and overall presentation. Even the 'tense' and 'high drama' moments come across flat. I'd compare it to Eastenders at the moment, something just isn't right in my eyes. Some of the pieces are there but they aren't falling into place.

And none of this is helped by the direction and the background music. It was a character in itself and when it was axed, something left the show. Virtually none of it works on the show and the sharp cuts and lack of time for a 'scene to end' removes distinguishable Y&R traits. Don't get me wrong, I know the days of David Shaughnessy/Alden & Smith 2002-2003 writing/direction/lighting/music can't be replicated but, blow me sideways, I don't feel like I'm watching Y&R outside of 'Nadia's Theme' and the faces of some characters. It's sad.

• Members

Phyllis aint dying, she will be in a coma; we still have 3 weeks of prolly a Phyllis lovefest before Daniel takes her our of GC.

That whole Sharon/Phyl scene was shoyty at best, but I too am giddy at what they are doin to Sharon LOL!

• Members

But who said Phyllis was going to die? That might be more wishful thinking than anything, no one expected her to really bite the dust.

Her exit is just really defeating and humiliating. I still expect a recast a year from now though, which this exit certainly leaves the door open for.

• Members

I agree it was poorly executed. And MS once again, didn't do much with the material. But Sharon Case rocked her scenes. I...like..this Sharon with a backbone. Deer in the headlights stare as she is was being talked to like shat by Phyllis for years and years was absolutely ridiculous an painful to watch. Damn, I don't know who I hated more...Phyllis or Sharon. Oh well, Goodbye Phyllis.

• Members

This is exactly how I feel...this type exit is well deserved even if I wanted her to go out in a blaze of glory trying to run Sharon or Christine over, swerving, missing, hitting a tree and having the car blow up in an inferno before going over that same cliff she helped Dru over.

I am glad that you can find a silver lining in this disgraceful and humiliating Phyllis exit.

• Members

Sharon will still be on the show, as far we know, and this show has no issue whitewashing criminal actions of its characters, Phyllis herself was a prime example of that.

Ruined character? Maybe, but the show will move on from her misdeeds, and no more ruined than 90% of the current cast of characters.

Archived