Y&R: July 2013 Discussion

• Members

Well, it severs the parental bond Nick and Phyllis have, the bond that kept him with her instead of Sharon. And Sharon said to Cassie that she intends on supporting Nick through all of this, while everyone else lashes out at him. She took advantage of an opportunity and set up a situation where she will be Nick's only supporter. I thought all along that Summer should have been Jack's but I am not liking how Sharon is being thrown under the bus to accomplish it. I thought JG was going to do better by Sharon than MAB did.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really. Nick is always going to love Summer and Nick/Phyllis are always going to share the bond of raising her. Plus, that bond didn't keep Nick with Phyllis in the first place. He's with Avery. The parental bonds he had with Sharon didn't keep him tied to her, not when she had Noah and not when she had Faith.

I guess it makes some sick sense to Sharon that Nick will turn to her out of grief if Summer and everyone else rejects him. That's finally a shred of reasonable motivation, I suppose, even though it's completely pathetic. I need Sharon's meds to start working again soon. I'm over seeing her act so desperate of Newman males.

• Members

Summer is 18 so Nick and Phyllis were together for at least 17 years...? So they have memories and history of raising Summer for 17 years but there is no longer a parental bond there. If Phyllis were to remain onscreen and conscious, she and Jack would be parenting Summer. They would have the parental bond.

While Nick and Sharon are not currently together, they still share a parental bond because of Noah and Faith.

Nick has no ties to Phyllis anymore.

• Members

I disagree here. This is exactly the kind of kid I dreamed of Michael Baldwin having. I just wish they wouldn't have gone there with Kevin or killed him off after they did. He and Fen are the same character. No need for both in canvas at this point.

• Members

Writing wise, i think is what the person means. Y&R has never written non-traditional families well. They just spent years acting as if Kevin was Delia's father. The thinks Michael would say yo Kevin about having a wife and child were ridiculous almost being that this is a soap and couples come and go...especially when they have no child to bind them. They only remembered Billy was her father when they wanted to create drama or redeem him. And how many times have Billy crooned about his family to leave Delia off the list. Ridiculous. From this point on, I expect Summer to have far more scenes with Abbots (Tracy and Abby) than she ever had with Nikki and Victoria.

• Members

Summer is an Abbott and Newman for now and like Abby, who had

A a non traditional family until Brad died. If Phyllis wasn't leaving, she and Nick would be tied by Summer muck like the Winters and Lily and Devon

• Members

The examples you used proved the opposite. When Abby was a child, Brad was her father. She had little cute scenes with Victor every now and then but she was unequivocally an Abbot and Carlton. She only became a Newman after Brad died. Victor was not written as her father before that. As a child, she was always with Abbots.

The writers struggled with Devon and his family relations. They didn't seem to know what to do or what responses would be appropriate most times. Anyways, they had no intention of ever writing Tucker as Devon's father. They were planning to make some little nuclear family with neil, harmony, devon, and Anna.TOr so it seemed. Tucker was always going to be an outsider. A friend but not a father. Yet, they wanted Kay to be his grandmother. Even hooked Harmony to Kay and allowed them to develop a relationship independent of Tucker. Mostly because they were not going to pair harmony and Tucker. What amused me was having Tucker act more like a father to Abby when she was missing (with Carmine) than Victor. As for Lily, Neil is her father because Malcolm is not the core character. If Malcolm were a core character and on full time and not a Winters himself, then I suspect that Neil would not still be her father either. Bottomline, Devon and Lily have no one else to be their father. So Neil draws the short straw. Abby has no one else to be her fsther, so Victor is it. When she did, Victor was out and not treated as such. This is not the case with Summer.

• Members

I like Kevin. Didn't like the burglary thing with him or Chloe. I think they should stay together, and Victoria and Billy too. The writing is on the wall for Fen. Here we go again with one or both of his parents caught between the truth and their deranged son. That was beyond tiring last time.

• Members

That was not what I meant. I think Y&R always seems to acknowledge the real parental bonds, with the exception of Keemo and Malcolm who are offscreen. There is always some mention of Delia being Billy's. I don't know if I think there will be more screentime w/ the Abbotts and Summer but I think Jack and Summer will definitely be shown in a father/daughter relationship.

• Members

But wasn't the whole point of this conversation Sharon's possible motive for switching the paternity test? Someone said it was to end the ties between Phylis and Nick, which I still consider crazy thinking. So really, if Sharon did it, this is all just a set up for Jack and Sharon to be effed over again, although Sharon is doing it to herself.

Actually, if we find out that she did change the paternity test ,I'll be expecting Sharon's crazy plan will work and she will get Nick back until he finds out she betrayed him in the worst possible way when recast Phyllis shows up to blow her out of the water. It pretty much writes itself.

• Members

Not just that, Malcolm is a Winters. He and Neil are part of the same family. So despite who is "playing Daddy" with her. She is still a Winters and will have the same scenes with her family. But When you take kids out of one family unit and put them in another, writing will change. Reactions will change. The people involved will change. For example, if they flipped things and made Cane the father of Delia. I doubt Billy will be involved with her very much despite the fact that she has been his daughter and he loves her like crazy. She would probably get more time with Jill then though. LOL.

Archived