TV's Biggest Cast Feuds

Soapsuds

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Starr Jones was not welcomed because she was educated while being black. If Barbara could have gotten away with it, she would have whipped her. Sherri is more acceptable because she's an uneducated fool (who I do sometimes find funny). They love her! Whoopi? Hard to fire her because she is a Hollywood "Icon".

Funny about Bea and Betty. I knew they didn't have the best relationship, but I had no idea why. Betty did an interview a while ago, and she said Bea hated her. I was shocked to read that. Betty the first to get an Emmy? Cool [but Rue would have been my pick. Blanche Devereaux was just utter greatness]!

• Members

When you're right, you're right. That whole debacle shined a harsh light on who those heifers really were (if there were any doubt before then). Frankly, I don't know how Lisa (the only panelist that I liked from beginning to end) lasted as long as she did.

Sherri the Fool is exactly the kind of shuck-n-jiver that makes the rest of these (non-Black) women at ease. I'd say that the Whoopster is the exception to the rule (since she does have working brain cells), but she's such a Hollywood asskisser that it doesn't mean jack.

• Members

I find it sad somehow to hear about Bea and Betty not getting along. I realize that they were only playing parts, but I always got the impression, even after the show had ended, that they had all become friends through it. It doesn't take away any of the pleasure I get from watching the show of course, and I don't really know why it bothers me, but it does.

• Members

I think I remember a quote from Bea Arthur where she basically said two of the women were dears and one was...<expletive>.

The fake reality show feuds don't really belong on the list, at least for me. Maybe the one with Teresa, as that has gone on endlessly, but forced crap like the Mariah/Nicki feud that everyone seemed to stop caring about halfway through the season - is that really on a list for 60 years of TV? William Frawley and Vivian Vance, or Vivian Vance and Lucille Ball, should be on there instead.

• Members

Betty White stated that Bea Arthur didn't like her because she was too cheerful, White would interact with the live audience and that didn't sit right with Arthur. There was a line that Dorothy had about wanting to smash Rose's face in a grapefruit because of how cheerful she was, so I guess that sentiment was mirrored in real life as well. When Dorothy would snap at Rose or hit her, it was always very realistic, so perhaps the animosity made for better viewing.

• Members

The Falcon Crest feuds could have been on there too - Jane Wyman and Lana Turner wouldn't even film together by the end of Turner's run. Mel Ferrer told TV Guide Wyman had had him fired. Wyman clashed with Simon Macorkindale, supposedly. Her feud with Robert Foxworth was so bad she insisted she be given the right do direct, just because she learned he was going to direct, and she measured his trailer and demanded hers be the same length.

Nicki Minaj brandishing a Q-tip or Heidi Montag playacting doesn't have the same punch.

• Members

Wasn't there friction between Jane Wyman and Lana Turner on "Falcon Crest" too? I don't know if it's true but I've read that they had to shoot their scenes separately and splice them together afterwards. It sounds a bit incredible though. Both Wyman and Turner were professionals, and surely they could do scenes together in front of the camera even if they despised each other off camera.

Edit: I guess I wasn't the only one who thought of Falcon Crest. smile.png

• Members

I'm also surprised that they hadn't mentioned Esther Rolle/John Amos vs. legendary shuck-n-jiver Jimmie Walker. I can't remember whether Amos left because of him in particular (or if he was a part of larger behind-the-scenes issues), but I know that Rolle bounced for a year or so because she could no longer deal with his coonery.

Archived