TV's Biggest Cast Feuds

Soapsuds

• Members

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that most of the time, "Suzanne" was really Alan Hamel, her husband. That inaccurate behind the scenes movie they made about ten years ago also had a part where Alan went to the producers towards the end of the show's run and proposed the idea of Suzanne coming back to either play Vicki or to play Chrissy in the Vicki role.

Yeah, Vicki sucked.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cindy, the "amazon jackass", just gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks Chit!

TAC sucked and had perhaps the worst sitcom theme song of all time. "Love is fun... For everyone..." Who the !@#$%^&*] got a check to scribble such [!@#$%^&*]? I only watch for Robert Mandan and Jessica Walter who were basically precursors to Dharma's Greg's parents.

• Members

Years ago, I read in the Enquirer that there was tension between Jasmine Guy and Dawnn Lewis on the set of ADW. Allegedly, Jasmine would make smart remarks about Dawnn coming to work unprepared, not knowing her lines.

This may sound strange, but I really hope John Amos was fired and didn't quit. God bless John and Esther's principles, but no J.J. Evans is making me part with my hit $erie$. It just stings when I see John soliciting work while receiving his TV Land Award or now on a daily basis billed as an "award winning paid actor" doing commercials for the Johnnie Cochran Group.

Marla Gibbs has said that she was happy with Jackee's popularity because it was good for the show. She realized that she was now in the same position Isabel Sanford found herself in on The Jeffersons, playing straight woman to her Florence.

• Members

Charlotte Rae and Geri Jewel had issues on FOL. Charlotte's son has some sort of developmental disability and Geri felt that she somehow reminded Charlotte of her son and her own issues with him. Allegedly, things got tense one day and Geri told Charlotte to, "Kiss my ass!", which is just about the most hilarious incident I have ever pictured. I mean, imagine telling Mrs. Garrett, in all your palsyed glory, to kiss your ass.

• Members

TAC was really depressing to me because of how old they made Jack. Not just the contrived old-fashioned morals they gave him for being against living with Vicky without being married, but whenever they had him with EZ Taylor, they would always highlight the generation difference between them, and just...ugh. Jack Tripper as an old man is just depressing. They started some of that in the final season or two of TC, and that's one of the changes to the show that I just couldn't deal with. That, and the insistence on turning it into a children's sitcom. The first 4-5 seasons were sublime. Silly but sexy, hip without being too hokey.

• Members

LMAO!! I believe Geri is still kinda ticked about the whole thing, she doesn't understand why they chose to write her out. I remember on the True Hollywood Story, Lisa Whelchel or someone said that it was getting frustrating for everyone to have a certain rhythm to scenes and then have Geri completely ruin the momentum. Harsh...insensitive...but true?

• Members

Interesting tidbits. If anything, and maybe I'm just projecting the characters onto the performers, but I'd expect Jasmine to be unprepared and Dawnn to be a hard ass about it.

John, AFAIK, really did quit Good Times because of JJ, and yes, I agree, I'd be damned if I let the money go because of that. Especially because you know John's departure probably enabled Jimmie to get a raise (which should have went to Ja'net).

The Today Show did a week's worth of sit-down reunions a few years ago, and to my surprise, 227 was one of the casts they reunited. I think they briefly touched on the feud between Marla and Jackee, and Marla did say that she eventually got over it because Jackee added so much to the show. Jackee also alluded to the idea that Marla might have knocked her down a few pegs and helped her navigate some of Hollywood's traps, so that's good.

Eight is Enough was also featured that week. I don't remember if they said anything about Betty Buckley's arrival, but it's no secret half of those kids were high as a kite on drugs and booze for the latter half of the show's run (which is largely why Lorimar was ready to pull the plug). I imagine Betty became a mother figure, but who knows.

• Members

I truly believe Ja'net benefited from John's leaving...she was used more and had her own stories/family on the show. I think had John stayed Ja'net role would have stayed the same. I firmly believe she was the Florence of The Jeffersons and Jackee of 227. I flove her one liners and scripts in particular.....one that comes to mind is the dog food/neighbor episode....bon appetite....lol

• Members

LMAO! I hated Geri so much!

AMS, it is my understanding that Amos was called in and fired, and TIIC drove home the point by killing off the character so the audience would not get any ideas or long for his return.

And I agree that you would think that JG would be the one not prepared. Shocking!

• Members

AMS, I almost choked when I read Lisa's comment about Geri's rhythm killing comedy. I didn't see much of her Y&R gig or any of her on that popular HBO western, the title is on the tip of my tongue, but in both cases I was surprised to see that she was still in the business. When I met Marj Dusay I can't believe I didn't ask her what it was like to be on that set.

Soapsuds, ITA with you about Ja'net and the Gertie episode was on just a few days ago! I used to post on the IMDb Good Times message board and I often said how the Ja'net season was one of my favorites. I honestly did not miss Esther and John. I'm still waiting for their E! THS to hit YouTube, I was so pissed that I missed it back then.

• Members

Ugh, I could not stand EZ! What a dated character. Felipe was hilarious, however. One of the "children's sitcom" era episodes that I admit to adoring is when little Kaleena Kiff loses Cuddles. Only because I love pets and it was cute see all those kittens (especially when Teri brings in the "pinto").

Archived