TV's Biggest Cast Feuds

Soapsuds

• Members

I vaguely remember Nora Dunn being cast out behind the scenes because she was the only one that spoke out against Andrew "Dice" Clay's loathsome ass being a guest on SNL. I'm not sure if that set the stage for her eventually being let go, but I did gain respect for her for speaking out and standing her ground from beginning to end.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Three's Company feud was just plain ol' sexism from the producers. Chrissy Snow was just as important to the show as Jack Tripper, but the showrunners only considered the man important. It was hilarious seeing Joyce DeWitt betray Suzanne like that and get bitten in the a$$ when her role got reduced in the last few seasons in favour of 3C becoming "The Jack Show"...not even to mention the eventual spin-off (which tanked, BTW. Best form of karma ever.).

• Members

I think she was already distant from many at the show by this point, but yes, she was let go after boycotting the episode he was in (Sinead O'Connor also dropped out being musical guest when she heard he was hosting). She didn't even appear in the season finale. It's too bad, as I thought she was one of the show's brightest spots in her tenure. At least it didn't seem to do her career any harm.

• Members

That's really not how any of that happened lol Suzanne wanted to be paid a similar amount to what Carroll O'Connor, Alan Alda, and Larry Hagman were being paid at the time -- of course, those three were the stars of their respective shows. To Suzanne's credit, she wanted raises for John and Joyce as well, but it was never simply about getting paid the same as John. Joyce's role wasn't reduced either lol And Three's a Crowd was based entirely on Robin's Nest, so Janet not being included had nothing to do with the behind the scenes drama (though Joyce herself felt differently at the time).

• Members

What I wouldn't GIVE to see the E!THS on Three's Company again. Talk about bringing the dish! For years, I would see people talking about how bitter Joyce DeWitt came across as being in her interview, but in retrospect, I think it was a cathartic release for the pain she felt in that time period more than anything, given that she had been out of the spotlight for years at that point, and she's been much more pleasant in interviews I've seen of her since then.

But yeah, the very moment that episode is uploaded to YouTube, you better BELIEVE I'm breaking out the popcorn. :D

• Members

Suzanne wanted to be the "Star" of the show and wanted more money. She would show up late for work halting production of the show, So the producers made Suzanne pay by having appear at the end of the show and eventually writing her out. Later when things had settled and Priscilla Barnes were firmly in the role the producers pitched an idea to John Ritter but he was told not to tell Joyce or Priscilla. Joyce felt betrayed by John. She found out when she arrived earlier for work and saw John and producers auditioning a new co-star for Three's A Crowd.

IMO...TAC was a disaster. The show wasn't funny and his co-star was a bore to watch.

• Members

Suzanne wanted to be the "Star" of the show and wanted more money. She would show up late for work halting production of the show, So the producers made Suzanne pay by having appear at the end of the show and eventually writing her out. Later when things had settled and Priscilla Barnes were firmly in the role the producers pitched an idea to John Ritter but he was told not to tell Joyce or Priscilla. Joyce felt betrayed by John. She found out when she arrived earlier for work and saw John and producers auditioning a new co-star for Three's A Crowd.

IMO...TAC was a disaster. The show wasn't funny and his co-star was a bore to watch.

• Members

According to Wikipedia, it finished at #11 in its first season, and stayed in the top 10 (#1 at the end of season four) until the seventh season; during it's eighth (and last) season, it wasn't in the top 30 at all.

John Ritter actually won his Lead Actor Emmy for the show in its final year, though (1984).

• Members
  1. Spring 1977: #11[6]
  2. 19771978: #3[7]
  3. 19781979: #2[8]
  4. 19791980: #1[9]
  5. 19801981: #8 (tie)[10]
  6. 19811982: #4[11]
  7. 19821983: #6[12]
  8. 19831984: not in top 30

The last season it was out of the top 30 but the producers said they had run out of ideas for the show and thus Three's a Crowd....

Again TAC was just awful and so was Vicki.

Archived