Pope set to resign / New Pope elected

Cheap21

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Until I started watching American shows I'd never heard of pre emptions.

In the UK we don't get shows interuppted often, only times I can remember is Princess Diana's death & 9/11. And a few shows have had episodes postponed if something happens in the news that is similar to a storyline.

• Members

People have always complained about TV interruptions. They always will.

I'm not going to say how I feel about what the Catholic Church has become, but I'll just say that it's not something I am interested in seeing.

• Members

news events don't seem to change our Soaps at all.

live sports events if they overrun can change them but usually that just means the show is shown later. Or if it's a bbc show it sometimes gets switched from bbc1 to bbc2. Might be because our soaps get higher viewers than most of our other shows.

• Members

They rarely pre-empty things here. They broke in during the breakfast shows to say there was news and they ran with it as breaking news through the breakfast shows and the morning news, but they rarely pre-empt free channels and hardly ever in the evening. Breaking news like this does take over all the news channels though.

• Members

This is 2013. All this forced live hullabaloo seems like an overly enthusiastic hard sell by the American media to remind us that we must still be a largely Caucasian, devoutly mainstream religious country. Which of course is nonsense - the Pope and the Church are not relevant to a great many people. It's not 1980 or 1950 anymore. I'm agnostic at best, I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] and I don't think most of the modern civilized world does either. People can worship whatever they want, but to report on this as though it's our head of state or live minute-to-minute international news coverage anymore is ridiculous. This is baby boomer thinking dominating the airwaves.

• Members

I'm 31 and I was so interested I watched on my iPhone.

Believe it or not, not everyone is ridiculing it. I don't attend services and I still think it's very exciting.

What's ridiculous is the level of anger over a TV show being interrupted by history.

I get annoyance and I feel ya in that. But real anger?

Besides, by the second break, I was hoping for the interruption. Today's episode looked to be on the sucky side.

• Members

It's a soap it's really not that serious to interrupt it for global news when you can see it later on youtube.

It's not like they interrupted it for the weather. My old CBS affiliate used to constantly intterupt Y&R for the weather(they also used to interrupt weather reports for weather updates), kidnappings(and since I wasn't living in the area it wasn't a great concern for me), fires, crashes.etc

Archived